Google redirect to yahoo virus

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by mike222, Sep 20, 2010.

1. mike222

mike222
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi
    When I open up safari and go to google it redirects to yahoo, I did a search and apparently this a a new type of virus, does anybody know what to do?
    I guess the problem is that generally you need to download a tool to remove viruses how do we do this on the ipad?
    If anybody knows how to remove it, it would be greatly appreciated.:mad:

2. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Well this is the first I have ever heard of a virus on the iPad.

3. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Before you do anything else, go into Settings | Safari | Search Engine and make sure your default search engine is Google... assuming that is what you want it to be.

4. pddmob

pddmob
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Mike. I found your post on google. I am having the same issue with my ipad, a of lastnight, did you ever reach a solution to this problem. If so, please help. I have the same problem

5. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Sounds like either you jailbroke your iPad and installed something that changed settings to always use yahoo...or someone or something changed your default search engine to yahoo as was suggested.

There are no iPad viruses and if there are the only way you could get one is thru Cydia.

6. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:

Really? This is good to know. Why does Cydia have viruses? Are they in the apps?

7. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    I don't know of any, but Cydia is the only way to install 3rd party unapproved apps and the ONLY way to install 3rd party APIs and system changes.

8. pddmob

pddmob
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    i was curious about virus barrier. It supposedly can scan the Ipad now and look for malware etc. But unfortuneately I do not have a MAco or anything with mac OS as needed. They do have the "dual" version that works with windows, but again it has to be windows, ran on a mac.

so I am Mac-ignorant as you can probably tell, is there any way around this? it only appears to redirect when i try to use google thru safari. it takes me to a microsoft site for some reason. I was browsing the bestbuy site and next thing i know it started having issues. Th only other thing I could think of was my wife had checked her AOL email thru the safari site

9. sacwoodpusher

sacwoodpusher
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Redirection

So....it can't happen...but it is happening....Go to Safari, do a google search, and I am directed to a yahoo developer site. I am also redirected to yahoo developer when I enter google dot com in the url bar.

10. Mickey330

Mickey330
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I cannot replicate this problem.

Since you opened a year-old thread to inform us of this, can you please tell us what steps you took in getting to the Yahoo web site?

Because I went, via Safari, to Google, typed in a random phrase and got a normal, Google search result page. I'd be very interested in seeing what search terms, or what actions taken, result in being directed to Yahoo. In addition, I went to the URL bar and typed in Google.com. I got the main Google search page.

So, in order to help solve your issue, can you provide us with the specific steps/search terms you used? Mainly because I can't replicate your issue and now, I'm curious...

Thanks.

Marilyn