What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google Maps - No Split View Support?

FlavioX

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using my new iPad Pro 12.9 for in car navigation and was surprised to find out that Google Maps does not support Split View on iOS 11, only Slide Over.

YouTube has had this since early 2016 so I am curious why this is.

I have searched the internet but I have found pretty much no other comments about this. Using Google Maps and e.g. Music next to each other would be of great use to me.

I don't want to use Apple Maps because I am firmly rooted in the Google ecosystem and for some strange reason Apple Maps does not support Satellite View when navigating which I find very useful.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The last couple of major iOS updates Google has been slow to roll out support for new features. The Google office apps have just implemented (incompletely) drag and drop. It may take them a while to get around to a Google Maps update; especially one that supports iPad-only features.

Strangely, Goggle Earth does support split view.

I bounce back and forth between several map apps, whatever seems best at the moment, however; I usually use Apple Maps for navigation, simply because it’s better integrated with the system. Their maps are reasonably accurate in my area.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s entirely up to Google whether or not Google Maps will eventually support Split View. Have you contacted Google to make your desire known? Maybe if enough people contact Google it will speed up the process.

Most reactions

Latest posts