Google Maps is in the Appstore!

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by AQ_OC, Dec 13, 2012.

1. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's ready for your consumption! This is an iPhone app, BTW.

#1 AQ_OC, Dec 13, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Just downloaded it! Thanks for letting us know.

3. RodC

RodC
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Oh, goodie! I thought Google had given up on that! Finally. I test-installed it on my iPod Touch first.

IMG_0142.PNG

Looks good. I'd say even better than the Apple Google Maps we used to know :)

Next, i am upgrading my iPad to iOS 6, behold! :D

4. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Got it! I presume a real iPad version is coming soon?

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

5. FXRS

FXRS
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    RodC-

In case you didn't catch it the google maps app just released is currently just for the iPhone. I was also thinking of now upgrading my ipad3 to iOS 6 but caught myself in regards to the maps app. I think I'll still hold off and hopefully an iPad version of google maps app will come out soon.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there. That said, my wife's iphone4s now looks like a good candidate for ios6 with this new released google map app!!

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I have loaded the google map iPhone app on both my iPhone and my iPad retina. It is surprising how good it is in 2x mode on the retina iPad, for the map portion. The menus are little too large at 2x. But till the iPad app I out, this is OK. Works great on the phone.

7. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nobody mentioned that turn-by-turn nav with voice is included? That's a huge deal because google held that back from the apple version of google maps. Apple's action of kicking them (google) to the curb mean s we finally get turn-by-turn google maps on iOS. Just like on android! Apple can stop developing its own maps now.

Thank you Apple!

#7 AQ_OC, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  8. The OB

The OB
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm not sure that they will stop. Apple lost a lot of face on this. That apology was a very, very difficult thing to do strategically for Apple. And to save face it will really need to pull a rabbit out of the hat. It may take a while, while they complete working on it which they are doing now, but I am quietly confident that when their Maps comes out, that app may astonish a lot of us.

Furthermore, I have this thought, (I get them now and again) that when that new app is produced, it will be by way of another system upgrade which could very well contain some unanticipated goodies. I do not believe that Apple under the current circumstances will be satisfied to be 'Just like on android'.
    Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Why does Apple need to be in the map business? It makes no sense.

10. The OB

The OB
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Good question. But now, how can they not? They are riding a tigers back with a virtual promise in effect to "just wait and see what we are going to show you".
    And on that same question, why shouldn't they be in the maps business? Why is it more sensible for Google to enjoy some sort of monopoly on maps? One could just as easily ask why, to give a few examples, should Apple be in the web browsing, voice to typing, or for that matter sale of iPad covers business? Its business!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk