What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google Maps is in the Appstore!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's ready for your consumption! This is an iPhone app, BTW.

Last edited:

RodC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, goodie! I thought Google had given up on that! Finally. I test-installed it on my iPod Touch first.

IMG_0142.PNG

Looks good. I'd say even better than the Apple Google Maps we used to know :)

Next, i am upgrading my iPad to iOS 6, behold! :D

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Got it! I presume a real iPad version is coming soon?

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

FXRS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RodC-

In case you didn't catch it the google maps app just released is currently just for the iPhone. I was also thinking of now upgrading my ipad3 to iOS 6 but caught myself in regards to the maps app. I think I'll still hold off and hopefully an iPad version of google maps app will come out soon.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there. That said, my wife's iphone4s now looks like a good candidate for ios6 with this new released google map app!!

Rockbottom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have loaded the google map iPhone app on both my iPhone and my iPad retina. It is surprising how good it is in 2x mode on the retina iPad, for the map portion. The menus are little too large at 2x. But till the iPad app I out, this is OK. Works great on the phone.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nobody mentioned that turn-by-turn nav with voice is included? That's a huge deal because google held that back from the apple version of google maps. Apple's action of kicking them (google) to the curb mean s we finally get turn-by-turn google maps on iOS. Just like on android! Apple can stop developing its own maps now.

Thank you Apple!

Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nobody mentioned that turn-by-turn nav is included? That's a huge deal because google held that back from the apple version of google maps. Apple's action of kicking them (google) to the curb mean s we finally get turn-by-turn google maps on iOS. Just like on android! Apple can stop developing its own maps now.

Thank you Apple!

I'm not sure that they will stop. Apple lost a lot of face on this. That apology was a very, very difficult thing to do strategically for Apple. And to save face it will really need to pull a rabbit out of the hat. It may take a while, while they complete working on it which they are doing now, but I am quietly confident that when their Maps comes out, that app may astonish a lot of us.

Furthermore, I have this thought, (I get them now and again) that when that new app is produced, it will be by way of another system upgrade which could very well contain some unanticipated goodies. I do not believe that Apple under the current circumstances will be satisfied to be 'Just like on android'.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm not sure that they will stop. Apple lost a lot of face on this. That apology was a very, very difficult thing to do strategically for Apple. And to save face it will really need to pull a rabbit out of the hat. It may take a while, while they complete working on it which they are doing now, but I am quietly confident that when their Maps comes out, that app may astonish a lot of us.

Furthermore, I have this thought, (I get them now and again) that when that new app is produced, it will be by way of another system upgrade which could very well contain some unanticipated goodies. I do not believe that Apple under the current circumstances will be satisfied to be 'Just like on android'.

Why does Apple need to be in the map business? It makes no sense.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Why does Apple need to be in the map business? It makes no sense.

Good question. But now, how can they not? They are riding a tigers back with a virtual promise in effect to "just wait and see what we are going to show you".
And on that same question, why shouldn't they be in the maps business? Why is it more sensible for Google to enjoy some sort of monopoly on maps? One could just as easily ask why, to give a few examples, should Apple be in the web browsing, voice to typing, or for that matter sale of iPad covers business? Its business!

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good question. But now, how can they not? They are riding a tigers back with a virtual promise in effect to "just wait and see what we are going to show you".
And on that same question, why shouldn't they be in the maps business? Why is it more sensible for Google to enjoy some sort of monopoly on maps? One could just as easily ask why, to give a few examples, should Apple be in the web browsing, voice to typing, or for that matter sale of iPad covers business? Its business!

Easy....decide it is not the right thing to do. And Google has provided what they felt was missing in iOS. Every company makes mistakes and I see no reason to believe they can do maps better than anyone else. To continue is just to compound a bad decision. The smart business move is to accept your mistake and get your attention back on what you need to be doing. We don't need another map maker, we have plenty already. What is the reason for Apple to play in this game? Because someone took their eye off the ball?

I seriously hope Tim Cook wakes up or he is going to squander many man-hours and many dollars and still come up short.

CoreDump

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Instead of thanking Apple you should be thanking Google. Getting lost in Australia sucks. Been in the news, along with another Patent case lost for Cupertino.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Easy....decide it is not the right thing to do. And Google has provided what they felt was missing in iOS. Every company makes mistakes and I see no reason to believe they can do maps better than anyone else. To continue is just to compound a bad decision. The smart business move is to accept your mistake and get your attention back on what you need to be doing. We don't need another map maker, we have plenty already. What is the reason for Apple to play in this game? Because someone took their eye off the ball?

I seriously hope Tim Cook wakes up or he is going to squander many man-hours and many dollars and still come up short.

Well, we will see one of these days what the results of Cook's decision will be. Hopefully, after all the work they have put in so far, they might put in what Apple feel "was missing in" these Google maps. I'm still optimistic about Apple's stated intention to provide the best tablet experience to the world. If they do not, I believe that will see them on the road to a definite decline. The right thing to do? Another company beat us on this? Never! err that's the spirit lads!
Regards, Andrew

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, we will see one of these days what the results of Cook's decision will be. Hopefully, after all the work they have put in so far, they might put in what Apple feel "was missing in" these Google maps. I'm still optimistic about Apple's stated intention to provide the best tablet experience to the world. If they do not, I believe that will see them on the road to a definite decline. The right thing to do? Another company beat us on this? Never! err that's the spirit lads!

Dont play in that sandbox and you cant be beat. trying to do everything is a sure way to lose on a lot of ways. apple got to where they are by focusing on doing a few things very well. they dont need maps. i see no reason to believe that will come up with something that much better than what google has already.

but, you are right, we shall see!

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Why is anyone in the free maps business? Because it gives them a license to collect tons of user data, which they can then sell, or leverage into bigger profits by targeting ads more precisely. Targeted ads command much higher rates than unfocused ads. If you assume it's about money, you won't often be wrong. When you cannot see the connection, start with the money, then work backward.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Most reactions