What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google Earth

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Google Earth on the iPad is pretty limited when compared to the full desktop OS versions. I'm afraid I don't have any answers for you, but I"m going to hang out just in case you do find an answer.

Just letting you know you've been heard, if not helped.

Good luck.

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, up till a few days ago (when I read an article somewhere about the availability of a new version of Google Earth for iOS) I was under the impression that there was no such thing as Google Earth for iPad (since this was one of the first things I was looking for in the Store, but didn't find anything).
After reading that article I thought the link to app installation was broken or temporarily suspended as it behaved strangely, and finally :) I searched the net for the solutions only to find out that this app is a USA-only.
I see no valid reason for it (as it works OK on the desktops/laptops), so does anyone know where I could find the .IPA file, and instal it manually? :eek:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .After reading that article I thought the link to app installation was broken or temporarily suspended as it behaved strangely, and finally :) I searched the net for the solutions only to find out that this app {Google Earth} is a USA-only.
I see no valid reason for it (as it works OK on the desktops/laptops), so does anyone know where I could find the .IPA file, and instal it manually? :eek:

You can get a USA iTunes account and download the app that way.

Creating an iTunes Store, App Store, iBookstore, and Mac App Store account without a credit card

You'll need a U.S. address (many use an Apple Store address) and an email address that plausibly comes from the US (GMail should work). After that you can switch back and forth between accounts at the bottom of the App Store (the Features tab) where you see your Apple ID.

Keep track of what apps you get from what store. You can only update them when signed into the store they were purchased from.

BTW, what apps are in what store are determined by local laws and the choice of the developer. I don't know which applies in this case, given Google's rocky legal/privacy past in Europe. Within it's own guide lines, Apple is happy to provide apps anywhere they are allowed.

Last edited:

Commodore

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I managed somehow, and it works. I hope they add Street View there soon too, that would make it perfect (I hear it has something to do with flash un-support). I did read somewhere that you can use Street View on Ipad via Google Maps, but haven't checked it out yet.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, I managed somehow, and it works. I hope they add Street View there soon too, that would make it perfect (I hear it has something to do with flash un-support). I did read somewhere that you can use Street View on Ipad via Google Maps, but haven't checked it out yet.

You can use Street View in the Maps app; at least until iOS 6. Then Apple will stop using Google for their Maps app.

To use Street View, tap and hold near the street you want to view, until a purple pin drops in place. Tap the pin. If Street View is available in that location you'll see the orange Street View icon at the left of the pop-up will be bright. Tap it to enter Street View. Or you can tap the blue (i) con for info, and then tap the Street View thumbnail that appears.

It sometimes take the app a few seconds to highlight the Street View icon.

Most reactions

Latest posts