What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google earth for Ipad has no toolbar?

Kudzu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just got IPad Air.
Loaded Google Earth.
I can't find the toolbar, can't drop pins, & etc.

Did some research that said to hold down on point to drop pin.
Does not work...

Suggestions?
Surely it has Options?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, Kudzu! Welcome to iPF!

The toolbar in Google Earth is at the top left. It you tap it, you see this:

image-1630501683.jpg

There's a tutorial and a help center. I didn't find how to drop a pin in Google Earth, but it's possible in Google Maps:

image-175493745.jpg

There, the procedure you described works.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The ability to drop pins is mostly a navigation tool, so you can then get directions to that point. Google Earth doesn't do directions.

The way I think of the two apps is this:

Google Earth is mostly an educational and exploration tool. A good app to use when you are curious about what's where and how it looks.

Google Maps is a navigation and service location tool. The better tool to use when you are looking for a business or how to get somewhere.

There is definitely some overlap, but each does different things better.

That said, there are ways to save places in Google Earth, though not on the iPad. Instead you use a desktop to create kml files which can be overlaid on Google Earth. The My Maps option allows you to sync these files between your desktop and iPad via Google. Again, this is mostly for education and other information sharing services.

I can't add much in the way of details, since I've never used it myself. The closest I've come was to export a KML file from Panoramio and view it in Google Earth on my desktop.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kudzu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Found the menu.
On the desktop google earth, we drop pins on points of interest for hunting or dirt bikes. Shame the ipad version does not seem to have this

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Take a look at MotionX GPS HD. You can drop pins, keep tracks, and export them as KML files which you should be able to import into your computer version of Google Earth.

It is the most general purpose mapping app I've seen. Meaning, it has a wide variety of tools and maps.

OP
K

Kudzu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GPS he looks nice, but I don't have 3G ipad, only wifi

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Then it would work on Wi-Fi only, just like Google Earth. There is an option to cache maps, so you can still get some limited offline functionality.

And the navigation features would be limited, the more rural you are the more limited. Not that MotionX GPS HD has all that many navigation features. The version with driving instructions is MotionX Drive.

Most reactions

Latest posts