What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google Drive logout?

h2vh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded version 2 earlier today - and have been looking for a way to LOGOUT ever since!
Anybody else with same problem - and maybe a solution??

D

Deleted member 247820

I downloaded version 2 earlier today - and have been looking for a way to LOGOUT ever since! Anybody else with same problem - and maybe a solution??
Hello H2.
I have Google Drive iPad app. I cannot see how to logout.
I believe that there exists a Google Drive blog, maybe it can help.
I only use the iPad app because another app is linked to it's "Open in" item.
I have never logged out, I just close the app.
However if you open Google Drive in a web browser and go to the bottom of the home page you get the option to work in the "desktop" version.
This version is far more satisfying that the iPad app.
And you can log out, not obvious but it is there.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I downloaded version 2 earlier today - and have been looking for a way to LOGOUT ever since! Anybody else with same problem - and maybe a solution??
Hi, h2vh! Welcome to iPF!
The only thing you can do is manage/remove your account. Then you'd have to set it up again when you want to view your files.
There are two apps which work with Google Drive:

image-1687169924.jpg

Both work almost the same way, number 2 has the option to set a passcode. That means whoever wants to see your loaded files, has to enter the passcode first.

OP
H

h2vh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for feedback - personally I find that the missing logout option is a flaw in the app!: As mentioned it was there until I upgraded yesterday(?)
'Number 2' appears to be (slightly) better, but for the time being I'm going to simply remove the Google Drive app from the iPad and access my stored docs via a browser.
BTW I tried this

https://twitter.com/gvangool/statuses/333830545173790720

'remote logout' - but apparently it has no effect!(?).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Depending on what filesyou are accessing, and why, many third party apps offer GoogleDrive access. Some of them can be passcode locked.

Of course, nothing but Google Drive itself will do much with your Google word and spreadsheet files themselves.

The omission of a logout or at least a passcode lock feature for the app does seem like a problem. You should probably leave feedback to Google on the issue.

OP
H

h2vh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...You should probably leave feedback to Google on the issue.
- thanks; I (believe I) already did that(?): There is a 'Report Problem' field in the 'Settings' window, and I mentioned the absence of the logout feature there - but there's no feedback! :rolleyes:
Time will show if they come up with an update(?), but I'm somewhat surprised that I seem to be the only one concerned(?).

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .but I'm somewhat surprised that I seem to be the only one concerned(?).

I can't speak for others, but having individual logouts and/or passcodes for apps has little impact the way I use my iPad, though I can see how they might for others, especially business users.

I use the passcode lock on my iPad so it can't just be picked up and used. I rarely hand it to anyone else, and am always present when I do so. What little sensitive information I keep on the iPad is in 1Password. In other words, I'm pretty much what Apple was looking at as a typical iPad user. It's my iPad and no one else uses it. Locking the entire iPad is all I need.

D

Deleted member 247820

I can't speak for others, but having individual logouts and/or passcodes for apps has little impact the way I use my iPad, though I can see how they might for others, especially business users. I use the passcode lock on my iPad so it can't just be picked up and used. I rarely hand it to anyone else, and am always present when I do so. What little sensitive information I keep on the iPad is in 1Password. In other words, I'm pretty much what Apple was looking at as a typical iPad user. It's my iPad and no one else uses it. Locking the entire iPad is all I need.
Hi T Poet.
I guess I'm more lax than you!
I don't even lock any part of it.
I just remain vigilant out and about, just carry it in a non-descript grocery bag!
Anyway it is iPad 2 so if I loose it I loose it, and it owes me nothing now.
BTW I have everything backed up remotely.
No I don't use iCloud as it is too restrictive.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi T Poet.
I guess I'm more lax than you!
I don't even lock any part of it.
I just remain vigilant out and about, just carry it in a non-descript grocery bag!
Anyway it is iPad 2 so if I loose it I loose it, and it owes me nothing now.
BTW I have everything backed up remotely.
No I don't use iCloud as it is too restrictive.

Everyone should pick what works best for them. The main thing is that people should actually think about it, so they aren't just going with the defaults without considering the risks.

There is no particular reason to not use iCloud to some extent, from my perspective. I would not suggest anyone depend on it exclusively for backups, especially for important documents or photos. As you say it's too restrictive. On the other hand it does several things fairly well, and having an iCloud (restore everything) backup, in addition to another more flexible backup strategy, can save you considerable pain if it all goes bye bye.

It's really not an either-or scenario. Belt and suspenders is the way to go if you're at all concerned about the content of your iPad.

D

Deleted member 247820

Everyone should pick what works best for them. The main thing is that people should actually think about it, so they aren't just going with the defaults without considering the risks. There is no particular reason to not use iCloud to some extent, from my perspective. I would not suggest anyone depend on it exclusively for backups, especially for important documents or photos. As you say it's too restrictive. On the other hand it does several things fairly well, and having an iCloud (restore everything) backup, in addition to another more flexible backup strategy, can save you considerable pain if it all goes bye bye. It's really not an either-or scenario. Belt and suspenders is the way to go if you're at all concerned about the content of your iPad.
Hi TPoet.
I'm definitely a belt and suspenders person!
Big thanks for your input.

MrA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can logout! It's unhelpfully hidden in:

Settings (the cog after you swipe right) - [touch your account] - Manage - Remove

This logs you out and does NOT delete your account as I originally thought...

Google Groups

OP
H

h2vh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a bit late now - but my 'work around' is to switch from Drive to Gmail, where I use the 'log out from all accounts'-link in the lower left side of the window. A bit cumbersome, maybe, but one get's used to it! ;)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can logout! It's unhelpfully hidden in:

Settings (the cog after you swipe right) - [touch your account] - Manage - Remove

This logs you out and does NOT delete your account as I originally thought...

Google Groups

Thank you for your post. It was quite helpful...and never "too late" for other members that may have the same question.

@h2vh...it's nice to know you found a workaround and appreciate your response.

OP
H

h2vh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad it was seen by someone! Apparently Google doesn't see this as a problem (I still do) - if so they would supposedly have introduced a remedy long ago(?).

Most reactions