What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google Docs mobile v. desktop view

Fggdsg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I'm getting really frustrated with this.

I was on Safari and I clicked a link to a public Google Docs document. It opened in mobile view and then I selected the option to view it in desktop view.

Later, I was opening another document and it by default opened in the desktop view. I wanted desktop view just that onetime! Now every Google Docs document opens in desktop view, which is kind of slow.

So I went to Settings on my iPad and cleared the history, cookies, and data for Safari and reopened Safari. When I opened a Google Docs document, it still opened in desktop view.

Please, somebody help!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have a look at this. It might help.

image-1892466803.jpg

First time you selected desktop probably changed the setting in your google account, so clearing cookies would have no effect. You need to change it back on googles server.

OP
F

Fggdsg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I go to my main Google Docs page, it's already set at mobile.

Additionally, I logged out of my account and viewed a public Google Docs document, and it still went to the desktop version.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
See later posts for something that actually works, especially post #7.

If you are in Desktop mode, you would change back to Mobile mode using the cog/settings icon at the top right of the site. It should remember your last state each time you quit/logout.

GoogleDocsMobile.jpg

If you've already done this and it does not work, I'll play around some more and see if I can duplicate your problem.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, isn't that just peachy!?

While the Mobile version option is available at first, once you close the page and go back to it the option is no longer there. I'll play around a bit more and see if I can figure something out. The problem is, as Kevin said, this is something that Google is remembering on it's site, not on the iPad, so it's got to fixed there.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Okay, here's a workaround. It's clumsy, but should get you back to your mobile site again. It will be up to Google to give it a proper fix.

Use this link to go to your Google documents. When you check the settings the mobile version option should be there. Choose it to get back to the mobile website, and Google should remember where you were. Until the next time anyway.

https://drive.google.com/?overridemobile=true#my-drive

It might be possible to substitute false for true in the URL, and do it in one shot. But I haven't tried that yet

OP
F

Fggdsg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, here's a workaround. It's clumsy, but should get you back to your mobile site again. It will be up to Google to give it a proper fix.

Use this link to go to your Google documents. When you check the settings the mobile version option should be there. Choose it to get back to the mobile website, and Google should remember where you were. Until the next time anyway.

https://drive.google.com/?overridemobile=true#my-drive

It might be possible to substitute false for true in the URL, and do it in one shot. But I haven't tried that yet

First of all, thanks for trying to get this fixed!

So I went through your steps (clicked on the link, dropdown settings, and went to mobile version). Then I clicked one of the documents in my list (while on the mobile version page) and the document opened to desktop view!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sigh, it didn't occur to me the document would get stuck in desktop mode. Mine are stuck there too.

I've got no further suggestions (for now) except to try the Google Drive app. You can now edit word documents there. You might even like the editor better.

Grrrr... It's even affecting the iPhone, and the desktop site is completely useless there.

Nothing to do but complain to Google and see if they fix it.

Last edited:

Most reactions