What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Google Apps" for IPad Mini

mirr1749

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
Brand new user to the world of Apple and to this forum....Hope that I am in the right section...

My question is in regards to the Subject....specifically if I wanted to DL Google Earth,Maps,You tube apps etc.etc,would I be required to set up a Google Account?..(which I don,t have)

Thank you for your time......And I did do a search here,but it came up empty....

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,
Brand new user to the world of Apple and to this forum....Hope that I am in the right section...

My question is in regards to the Subject....specifically if I wanted to DL Google Earth,Maps,You tube apps etc.etc,would I be required to set up a Google Account?..(which I don,t have)

Thank you for your time......And I did do a search here,but it came up empty....
The only place you can get apps for your iPad Mini is the App Store. You can't get them anywhere else. There are, however, a number of Google developed apps in the App Store. Some examples are Google Earth, Google Maps, Chrome, etc.

What you need to buy apps is an iTunes/App Store account. You can set this up by going to Settings>iTunes & App Store and tapping the link
At the to of the page and following the directions to set up your account.

OP
M

mirr1749

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only place you can get apps for your iPad Mini is the App Store. You can't get them anywhere else. There are, however, a number of Google developed apps in the App Store. Some examples are Google Earth, Google Maps, Chrome, etc.

What you need to buy apps is an iTunes/App Store account. You can set this up by going to Settings>iTunes & App Store and tapping the link
At the to of the page and following the directions to set up your account.

OP
M

mirr1749

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply...BUT I guess I wasn,t very explicit in my question....I realize I can ONLY DL apps from the APP store (or ITunes)....What I would like to know is...IF I get them from the APP STORE, do I then need to get/have a Google account before they install/work???

Thanks...

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply...BUT I guess I wasn,t very explicit in my question....I realize I can ONLY DL apps from the APP store (or ITunes)....What I would like to know is...IF I get them from the APP STORE, do I then need to get/have a Google account before they install/work???

Thanks...
No you don't. The apps will work just fine without any kind of a Google account.

OP
M

mirr1749

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No you don't. The apps will work just fine without any kind of a Google account.

Thank you very much...Did NOT/NOR would I want to have to sign up to anything Google related!!!

OP
M

mirr1749

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well it seems that there policy must have changed...BECAUSE i DL the app youtube,and immediately after opening it I am asked to sign in with my e-maily address and the notice that "One google account for everything Google"...exactly the thing I DID NOT WANT TO SEE!!

Does anyone here use "Jasmine" app for a substitute?..and is it okay?.....Thanks....

OP
M

mirr1749

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Google is the CIA,NSA,all rolled into one....I appreciate my privacy as much as I can possibly do so....with Google you have absolutely no privacy whatsoever!!

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The log-in for YouTube is mainly for your access to your personalized YouTube account, like subscriptions and what not. You should still be able to browse YouTube without a log-in, you just won't be able to subscribe to channels and such.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well it seems that there policy must have changed...BECAUSE i DL the app youtube,and immediately after opening it I am asked to sign in with my e-maily address and the notice that "One google account for everything Google"...exactly the thing I DID NOT WANT TO SEE!!

Does anyone here use "Jasmine" app for a substitute?..and is it okay?.....Thanks....
I use YouTube all the time and I simply dismiss that notice whenever it appears.

I've used Jasmine and YouPlayer and both work well. YouPlayer will even play YouTube videos on my iPad that won't normally play on a mobile device.

Last edited:
OP
M

mirr1749

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having a problem with the quoting,but @dhewson777..".You should still be able to browse YouTube without a log-in".....Definitely not so in my case....screen would not go anywhere until the info they wanted was entered!!

@scifan77...".I've used Jasmine and YouPlayer and both work well. YouPlayer will even play YouTube videos on my iPad that won't normally play on a mobile device"......Thank you for that....will give them a go....

Most reactions

Latest posts