"Google Apps" for IPad Mini

Discussion in 'iPad Mini Forum' started by mirr1749, Jan 9, 2015.

1. mirr1749

mirr1749
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hello,
    Brand new user to the world of Apple and to this forum....Hope that I am in the right section...

My question is in regards to the Subject....specifically if I wanted to DL Google Earth,Maps,You tube apps etc.etc,would I be required to set up a Google Account?..(which I don,t have)

Thank you for your time......And I did do a search here,but it came up empty....

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The only place you can get apps for your iPad Mini is the App Store. You can't get them anywhere else. There are, however, a number of Google developed apps in the App Store. Some examples are Google Earth, Google Maps, Chrome, etc.

What you need to buy apps is an iTunes/App Store account. You can set this up by going to Settings>iTunes & App Store and tapping the link
    At the to of the page and following the directions to set up your account.

3. mirr1749

mirr1749
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:

4. mirr1749

mirr1749
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for your reply...BUT I guess I wasn,t very explicit in my question....I realize I can ONLY DL apps from the APP store (or ITunes)....What I would like to know is...IF I get them from the APP STORE, do I then need to get/have a Google account before they install/work???

Thanks...

5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    No you don't. The apps will work just fine without any kind of a Google account.

6. mirr1749

mirr1749
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thank you very much...Did NOT/NOR would I want to have to sign up to anything Google related!!!

7. mirr1749

mirr1749
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Well it seems that there policy must have changed...BECAUSE i DL the app youtube,and immediately after opening it I am asked to sign in with my e-maily address and the notice that "One google account for everything Google"...exactly the thing I DID NOT WANT TO SEE!!

Does anyone here use "Jasmine" app for a substitute?..and is it okay?.....Thanks....

8. speedlever

speedlever
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Just curious about your aversion to having a Google account?

9. mirr1749

mirr1749
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Google is the CIA,NSA,all rolled into one....I appreciate my privacy as much as I can possibly do so....with Google you have absolutely no privacy whatsoever!!

10. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    The log-in for YouTube is mainly for your access to your personalized YouTube account, like subscriptions and what not. You should still be able to browse YouTube without a log-in, you just won't be able to subscribe to channels and such.