What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodreader questions : files / symlinks

appleeater

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed Goodreader on my ipad and tested it by downloading a large PDF and opened it.
The PDF stays blank while it is NOT blank and closing the app (double click home button and long hold home button and click on the red circle), reopening it opens the same PDF again.
I cannot access the PDF by another filebrowser (iStorage doews not show it in 'Documents').

Another question: does Goodreader not support symlinks on SFTP servers ? They do not appear.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum. Another member had a very similar problem just recently. However, in that case, the file eventually turned out to be corrupted. So, guessing that's not the problem here and that you've done the first 'fix all problems with the iPad' solution (closing the app in the multi-task bar) have you - and please don't get cross because I know you've probably done this but it's difficult for me to know what you have done :) - try turning the iPad off and then on - i.e. by holding down the Power button. OK - I know - probably won't work, but you'd be amazed at how many questions we get here and that *is* the solution!!

Another issue we've come across is that GoodReader can take some time to render a big PDF so sometimes you need to go and make yourself a cup of coffee....

Can you open the PDF in iBooks? I guess not - yes, you'll have tried that I'm sure. And, of course, I'm assuming that if you send the file that GoodReader displays as blank back to your PC and open that retransmitted file, it looks OK - thus confirming that the file isn't corrupted....

Having said all this, there are some PDF features that do seem to cause GoodReader problems..

OK - I know - this hasn't really helped, but it gets the show on the road. We're nothing if not persistent at iPad Forums so let us know; I'm sure you'll be flooded with far more helpful suggestions than mine. Our resident iPad guru, twerppoet, is on the West Coast of the US and, if he has any sense, he's in bed now - but you'll be sure to get a response from him and he seems to have a solution for every iPad problem.

Tim
Scotland

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed Goodreader on my ipad and tested it by downloading a large PDF and opened it.
The PDF stays blank while it is NOT blank and closing the app (double click home button and long hold home button and click on the red circle), reopening it opens the same PDF again.
I cannot access the PDF by another filebrowser (iStorage doews not show it in 'Documents').

Another question: does Goodreader not support symlinks on SFTP servers ? They do not appear.

is it a scanned file?
jpeg2000 scanned files usually turns blank on goodreader :( i have two documents like that. someone on this forum suggested to convert that jpeg2000 before converting to a pdf.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! Tim screws up again!

Another day as sub sub moderator!

Great idea....why don't I get them? Has to be something in the water! :)

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts