What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GoodReader ...Is it free or should I pay money for it

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a program that most all iPad users have called GoodReader. It's the 'Swiss Army Knife' for the iPad and it can store files all together and in folders - or however you want them - and can transfer files to and from your PC using either WiFi or USB without the need for iTunes. It's built in web-browser can download files too, something that Safari doesn't offer - except for PDF format. From within GoodReader you can open those files in any app that supports that type of file. Having said that, though, when a compatible app does open that file it makes a local copy that it works on, so the original copy in GoodReader is left untouched. If you want to store the modified file in GoodReader you have to transfer it back there by some means.

GoodReader can also attach several files to an email and then send them using the iPad's native Mail app - something you can't do from within Mail itself. It also gives you the opportunity to annotate PDF files and save the resulting file so that it can be read on a PC or Mac.

It's very reasonably priced indeed - but not free. It's possible there may occasionally be offers and a promotion, though I can't recall one in the last few months for GoodReader. I guess it's so popular and so well respected that the Developers don't feel the need to promote it in this manner.

Tim

Ingliside

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I now have goodreader after reading the various post on the forum, two things I would like but cannot find how to do are 1) have two documents open at the same time so that I can compare any changes and 2) is there any way to put multiple documents in a particular order in a folder where the sort function is not suitable. (similar to moving bookmarks in Safari)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think that you can do either of these - certainly there's no way to have two documents open at the same time and, as far as I know, there's also no way to order the documents in a folder in a particular way - I don't even know how to do that in Windows :(

Scottish members are taking over iPad Forum - I see you're in Inverness, I'm just along the A96 near to Huntly - and there's even a Member who lives in Huntly - and three of the moderators live in Scotland...where will it all end.

Tim

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's no sort function like Safari's in Goodreader. You either sort by name, date or file size.

If I want particular documents in a certain order, I rename them (maybe put a number in front of them). Then, when you do a sort by name via Goodreader, it'll put them in the order you want.

Re-naming can be done in Goodreader's "Manage Files" area...

Marilyn

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's no sort function like Safari's in Goodreader. You either sort by name, date or file size.

If I want particular documents in a certain order, I rename them (maybe put a number in front of them). Then, when you do a sort by name via Goodreader, it'll put them in the order you want.

Re-naming can be done in Goodreader's "Manage Files" area...

Marilyn

Hey - that's a great idea!! I could just put a letter or two in front of the original file name to force an ordering - the remainder of the file name could remain the same!! Great plan!

Thanks for that...

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts