What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goodreader and local shared drives

Politenessman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.retro-tactical.com
I run goodreader on my iPad to hook into my dropbox account and my google docs account. It also has the ability (so it claims) to look for local shared drives on my network.

I have a shared drive - I am running an N600 wireless router with a shared 1TB usb drive. I can see the share from my machine and from the wife's mac, but goodreader can't see it.

Any clues on how I make it see the shared drive?

OP
Politenessman

Politenessman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.retro-tactical.com
You can transfer files one at a time via your local WiFi or through the file transfer utility with iTunes. I have used both methods.

Here is a link to their instructions -- goodiware.com :: products :: GoodReader :: Manual

I can do this but this is not what I want to do. What I want to do is have Goodreader discover the shared drive - as its user interface implies it can.

How do I do this?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Other than connecting to "cloud" serves, these are the only other ways I have personally used to transfer files to and from GoodReader.

OP
Politenessman

Politenessman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.retro-tactical.com
I appreciate the effort, but this is not what I am looking for.

What I want to do is use the Goodreader function: 'reload list of local servers' so I can access my share drive.

This should be simple and easy but for some reason Goodreader can't see the share drive.

I guess my questions should be:

1. Has anyone actually ever used this function?
2. If you have, how did you make it work?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I want to do is use the Goodreader function: 'reload list of local servers' so I can access my share drive.
I will also be looking for the answer then because all I get is the "scanning local WiFi network" box and it never finds anything!

OP
Politenessman

Politenessman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.retro-tactical.com
I will also be looking for the answer then because all I get is the "scanning local WiFi network" box and it never finds anything!

Exactly!
I have submitted a ticket with Goodiware and if I get a reply, I'll post the answer here, but I figured with the number of Goodreader users here, someone must have done this.

Mixz1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I run goodreader on my iPad to hook into my dropbox account and my google docs account. It also has the ability (so it claims) to look for local shared drives on my network.

I have a shared drive - I am running an N600 wireless router with a shared 1TB usb drive. I can see the share from my machine and from the wife's mac, but goodreader can't see it.

Any clues on how I make it see the shared drive?
I have/had the same problem. Solved if by running a small FTP app on my PC. Once that was up and running GoodReader discovered the multiple shares I had set up.

Having just joined the iPad world, I can say that while I really like it, I am very disappointed with Apple's marketing philosophy. AirPrint isn't worth anything if you don't have one of a small number of HP printers and you cannot join a network. Yet if you pay for apps, you can print to any wireless and/or shared printer and you can join a network. To me, since it's obvious the hooks are built into the OS this is just predatory marketing.

OP
Politenessman

Politenessman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.retro-tactical.com
I have/had the same problem. Solved if by running a small FTP app on my PC. Once that was up and running GoodReader discovered the multiple shares I had set up.

I'm not sure I understand what you did here - can you explain in more detail?

Did running the FTP program allow Goodreader to see the shares on just that PC, or the shares on your entire network?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Exactly!
I have submitted a ticket with Goodiware and if I get a reply, I'll post the answer here, but I figured with the number of Goodreader users here, someone must have done this.

Politenessman:

I just want to chime in with a "please, let us know if you find an answer." 'Cause I never get anything either. I've always thought that maybe I'm doing something wrong. But, since none of you can access it either ... maybe it ain't me!

Be nice to see/hear Goodreader's answer. Because this is an awesome program ... and real access to a local server would make it MORE awesomer! :D

Marilyn

OP
Politenessman

Politenessman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.retro-tactical.com
I am quite amazed that no one has yet come into the thread and said that they have this working. I wonder if its one of those features that no one uses (except for very few)

It seems to be my lot in life to want to do things that no one else does .. I have no idea why.

Mixz1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand what you did here - can you explain in more detail?

Did running the FTP program allow Goodreader to see the shares on just that PC, or the shares on your entire network?

Sorry to be unclear. I am only able to see the shares on the machine running the FTP server. The app is Cerebrus FTP, which is full featured, expensive to corporate users but free to individual users. I tried several freeware apps but could only get Cerebrus to work. I do not work for or have any connection with them.

It is still a kludge solution, and you have to decalre the shares within the server's control panel. But for the moment I can access the shares I need. Also, other than an iPad and an iPod, my net is a PC network. Mac users may have different solutions.

DannyGGG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I added the HD of my macbook into the list of shared folders, then entered the local address (eg. John-Smiths-Macbook-Pro.local) as the url address in the Goodreader app. Now my computer's HD is visible and browsable and files are available for download into Goodreader. Unfortunately I cant seem to access wireless HDs (my timecapsule) that are available to my macbook; I can't add it to the list of shared folders so the connection gets refused.

Most reactions