What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good ibooks that are free

Plainsman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Good" is pretty meaningless without more info. Why not just go to the store and browse the free books for yourself?

wheems

iPF Noob
Reaction score
amandaipad said:
Hi I am looking for good books that I can read for free in iBooks?

It really depends on what you like reading. The majority of freebies in iBooks are classic literature -- so if you dig the Bröntes, Austen, Dickens, etc., you're in luck!

OP
A

amandaipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I have browsed the free books millions of times. All i was looking for your suggestions in the free book section.

SCCAguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
amandaipad said:
Well I have browsed the free books millions of times. All i was looking for your suggestions in the free book section.

I downloaded the free Kindle app and that allows me to download books from Amazon, a number of which are free.
SCCAguy

wheems

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A few of my favorites:
Wuthering Heights - Emily Brönte
Grimm's Fairy Tales
Dracula - Bram Stoker
Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett
David Copperfield - Charles Dickens

Hope that helps! :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Kipling

- The Jungle Book
- The Second Jungle Book
- Kim
- Captains Courageous
- Puck of Pooks Hill

Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) {read this because it's mentioned in Have Space Suite Will Travel by Heinlein) it's funny in a very British way, even if, as I'm certain, I missed most of the historical references.

Just about anything by Zane Grey (Westerns mostly)

I'm not a fan of creepy myself, but Edgar Allen Poe's stuff is mostly free.

Lots of Mark Twain is good for the heart and humor.

Classic Science Fiction by:

- H. Beam Piper
- Jules Verne
- Edgar Rice Burroughs
- Philip K. Dick (some titles are free)

Other:

Poems of William Blake
A Boy's Will by Robert Frost
Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman

wigsajumper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Baen Books Science Fiction & Fantasy - Home Page has a lot of free sci fi books for download. If they don't have ibook version I have had great success with calibre converting .mobi versions to ibook compatible formats.

After that you can either add them to itunes and sync them to ibooks. Usually I just upload them to dropbox and use the goodreader app to "open them in ibooks"

These are books that Baen publishing have released for free in hopes that it will encourage you to purchase others in the the series or others by the author.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Baen Books Science Fiction & Fantasy - Home Page has a lot of free sci fi books for download. If they don't have ibook version I have had great success with calibre converting .mobi versions to ibook compatible formats.

After that you can either add them to itunes and sync them to ibooks. Usually I just upload them to dropbox and use the goodreader app to "open them in ibooks"

These are books that Baen publishing have released for free in hopes that it will encourage you to purchase others in the the series or others by the author.

I love that site. I have lots of books from them, both free and paid for. And they don't fool around with the free books either. Popular books by top authors, most of them. Almost all titles are available in ePub, which is what you need for direct import to iBooks.

I recommend downloading and adding them directly to iTunes. Other methods will not back up automatically, so if you use them (DropBox, email, etc.) be sure to keep copies on the computer elsewhere for safe keeping. The free books rotate, so you may not be able to go back and get it again later.

And show your appreciation if you can. If you don't see a book you want to buy, they have a donation button for the free library. A couple of dollars is a drop in the bucket considering what the site offers.

BTW, don't use Safari to go there. Unless they've fixed it, Safari doesn't like the site much.

wigsajumper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
fifth imperium has a data base of most the ebook cds that baen has released with some of the first print books you can view the isos individual files or just download the iso of the cd it has a lot of extras. Check out some of Ringo's cd's and listen to march of cambreath

Mh43cliff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The TV show on HBO girls has an interesting book simply for the high production value. There is an embedded Twitter feed as well as interviews with the cast. Very cool. Although I hate the show.

Most reactions

Latest posts