What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to leather my back.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hate how slippery the back of the pad is. But I love how thin the pad is. I don't like cases much. And am about to buy a dodo case to have something nice to carry around along my targus slip case.

So zaggs sells a leather back. But their leather says "Zagg" in huge letters in the center of the back. Will not buy it due to that reason.

Then spc or something like that makes a leather back with the apple logo cut out. Looks good, but I'm afraid of the edges of the apple logo comming up.

So I decided I'm going to go to the fabric shop an get some nice leather that will be grip like, and hopefully black with a nice texture. Some spray adhesive and there you go.

I'm just affraid of how I'm going to cut it perfectly. Figure at an angle on the edges to keep it from coming off..

Any ideas or tips before my next weekend project??

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't use spray adhesives on the iPad they contain solvents. You definitely dont want that. Use double sided contact sheets instead, they're the same thing as two sided tape. Go to a leather shop or upholstering shop and ask for advice. BTW They're difficult to find nowadays.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You also need to ascertain that the adhesive on the contact sheets will stick to the leather - some contact sheets work better than others. (I don't think sticking to the iPad will be the problem here, but rather the other material.)

OP
W

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's exactly wrong with the spray? Will it eat the metal or something?

I see all these people online that get the leather backing to "protect" the back..when it'll be covered for the rest of it's life.. I don't get it.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's exactly wrong with the spray? Will it eat the metal or something?

I see all these people online that get the leather backing to "protect" the back..when it'll be covered for the rest of it's life.. I don't get it.

You don’t need to be worry about the cutting edge of the apple Logo i have a white one in my iPad for almost 6 month (day1 of iPad) and yet no problem at all we use 3 M double face sticker

As iVan say don’t use contact it will definitively destroy you back aluminum and possibly eat the treatment …. (that my professional advice)

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So zaggs sells a leather back. But their leather says "Zagg" in huge letters in the center of the back. Will not buy it due to that reason.

I'm looking at Zagg's website for the iPAd leatherskin, and nowhere on any of its product gallery does the letters "Zagg" appear on the centre of the back. Their branding only appears much smaller, in the bottom right corner --

zagg-leather-skin-ipad-detail-300x272.jpg

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a black embossed Zagg leatherskin. Yes, the word Zagg is also embossed on the skine, but (1) it is in one corner of the skin/iPad, very close to the edge (2) the letters are, at most, 3/4 inch high (I didn't measure ... just eyeballed it), taking up less than a square inch of your skin, thus (3) is very UNnoticeable.

So, YMMV, but I don't really notice the branding. I see more of the pattern of the embossing and appreciate the feel of the skin. Overall [not to sound like a shill for Zagg], but I think it's a great product.

Marilyn

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of my coworkers has a Zagg leatherskin on his iPhone, and it looks and feels just fine - up to Zagg's usual high quality for these things.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Got some croc skin.
Now that would make for a good grip.
Hmmm........

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The thing I like about the leather is that leather is one of the few materials that look good when used/worn. I'm only concerned about the adhesive at this point.

David79

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The thing I like about the leather is that leather is one of the few materials that look good when used/worn. I'm only concerned about the adhesive at this point.

Totally agree, I think leather looks better and better with age and wear, but ya any adhesive would worry me using it on the ipad.

Shthpnz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sticked the Zagg Lizzard premium leather series on my iPad about 4 months ago.
I never really noticed the name ànd nowhere around the edges the leather comes loose.

What I did get is a warm, soft grip and the leather gives the iPad a stylish look.

Regards,

Most reactions