What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to buy a iPad 4 or Air tomorrow, help me choose which?

OP
B

budmonster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems like you are mixing up Internet streaming speeds with wifi speeds. The wifi speeds, that is router to device (say your iPad air) is typically much faster than that coming from your ISP to your house. So if you are streaming say from your PC to your iPad inside your house, that speed is what is likely to improve with this update. Of course, you have some nice fios speed into your house! By the way, I can stream 1080p rigs with no problem inside my house on my old iPads....but those are not 12gb files, but more like 2gb...so if you are doing that on your air, that is indeed very good.

I am confused, I dont understand why this iPad method for streaming is working so well and why the others I've tried have failed so badly. I finally found a method that works for streaming. I download an iOS app called AirVideo HD and the AirVideo HD Server for my PC (I tried several apps like Infuse and so on). You then open the Server up on your PC and add the video folder location. Then you just open AV HD on the iPad and it will show everything on your PC. I just would then click and movie and it would play without any issues, stuttering, lag, etc.

Also, I have a PS3 and I've tried streaming video from my PC to my PS3 using PC applications like PS3 Media Server. This method would play any type of video but it would stutter like hell as if I was using a 56k connection still. That why I'm confused on flawless the iPad is and how rough my PS3 is.

I also used the lightning adapter which I believe does support 1080p output, does the latest Apple TV support 1080p airplay/mirroring? I need to return one.

mesue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
geekintheforest.com
Are there any 3rd party Lightning adapters?

I bought some on eBay. 2 for $6.50. They work fine for sync and charge, but they don't do audio or video. I only wanted them for charging and sync so I don't have to carry/have 2 different cables around, since my iPhone is the 4s. I also bought some 6 ft. lightning cables two for six dollars. 3 ft. is just not long enough. They seem fine but if they fall apart no big loss at that price.

Edit: duh, you probably were asking about TV adapters. Never mind.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm talking about the Lightning Digital AV Adapter that hooks up to your tv via hdmi so you can play video right to the tv. amazon has there own? link please?

This thread has gone way way off-topic here.

Budmonster, since you have already decided and purchased the iPad air-please consider opening another thread discussion instead of using this one.

Thanks.

Ski ~ iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts