Going to buy a iPad 4 or Air tomorrow, help me choose which?

Discussion in 'iPad Air Forum' started by budmonster, Nov 2, 2013.

1. budmonster

budmonster
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'v never owned an Apple product or a tablet really for that matter. Had a Kindle Fire for a few months but didn't like it. I was going to purchase a refurbished iPad 4 a few months ago but was told to hold off b/c of the iPad 5 and that it would be out soon. So I waited patiently and it's here. I really don't know what to do, go with the Air or save around $120 and get a refurbed iPad 4? I just dont want to regret not getting the Air. My gut says Air, but my wallet says 4. I was thinking about getting the 128gb iPad 4 months ago. I know it's really up to me but what do you guys think, would love to hear your thoughts. I will be picking up one or the other tomorrow just a matter of which one. Is 64gb really enough space too? I will be using it and so will my son. He will be using a lot of educational application/games for his disability. I will want to throw movies on it and hook it up to my TV. Choices, choices, what to do?

2. Cold

Cold
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    i would go with my gut, newer,64 bit=faster with new software, and considering the price of the air not really that big a difference, i'm sure that you would look back in say 12 months and regret the lower spec machine.

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    Hello Budmonster - Now that the iPad Air ​is available and if you budget the extra $$, then there really is NO choice - go w/ the newest model - my son just bought two for himself & wife - the reviews are excellent for this newest release - I plan to upgrade my iPad 2 to the Air in a few months; SO, my recommendation is to get the Air - as to storage - I plan to obtain 64 GB (now have 32 GB) - this is a lot of memory and should serve you well - just my opinion - Dave :)

4. karpcb

karpcb
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I would say go for ipad air 64GB..it is so thin and powerful with 64 bit processor A7...

5. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Add on Apple TV so you can display the iPad on a full screen

6. budmonster

budmonster
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    So there is no other way to put a movie(1080p mkv, etc.) onto the Air and display it on my TV without getting an Apple TV box?

7. karpcb

karpcb
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Apple TV is the only way to put it on big screen. I heard chromecast will do but not sure it will work in iTunes

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Monger

Thanks Received:
    The Apple TV is like a Roku device (which I use) but allows the use of Apple's AirPlay technology which will 'mirror' your iPad, so if your have a movie on your iPad and/or are streaming a film (e.g. Netflix or Amazon), then the film will just play on your HDTV (assume that is your TV) - otherwise, you will need to preferably purchase an HDMI adapter to cable your iPad to your HDTV, i.e more inconvenient - the Apple TV, like the Roku, will also offer many more streaming options - if you do not have a Roku device, then consider Apple's offering - good luck! Dave :)

9. josh8888

josh8888
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I am the same as you being a new user to pretty much any apple products. I bought Air on a plan with Telstra without much investigation. I haven't notice any big differences as what they say lighter, thinner or quicker compared to IPAD with Retina display. Retina display is brilliant though, easy decision to tick off IPad Mini. Maybe if you play games a lot, A7 64 bit chip would make a difference. Not quite sure.

10. josh8888

josh8888
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    That's why I have been avoiding any apple products all my life. When every one is using a simple HDMI to do a pretty good job. Apple wants you to spend more money buying those bloody stuff. I hate it. I broke my promise and ended up buying a IPAD Air last week instead of Nexus 7 only owing to the splendid Retina Display and Nexus 7's small size. Not sure it was still a good decision now.