What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gns 5870 mfi bt gps?

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? My understanding that Bluetooth on the iPad only supports limited profiles (not serial as use by most BT GPS devices for example) so I wonder how this works.

OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? My understanding that Bluetooth on the iPad only supports limited profiles (not serial as use by most BT GPS devices for example) so I wonder how this works.

Well the GNS website talks about automatic sensing of NMEA (as used by everyone else) and Apple GPS protocols so it sounds like Apple has gone their own way with GPS.

I assume also that Apple has also decided to implement it's own BlueTooth profile rather than using the BT serial profile used by all other BT GPS receivers.

GNS does say that their device is Apple certified (what ever that means), links into location services (perhaps that's what they mean) and works with WiFi iPads.

I know that I sound like a whinger, but this could be the second device that I may have to purchase for the iPad despite already possessing a perfectly good BT GPS. The other device was an AirPrint compatible printer, which I must admit works quite well.

Last edited:
OP
R

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Without Jailbreaking, you can only pair and use BT headphones and keyboards with the iPad

They state that this works on WiFi only iPads without jailbreaking.

I can only assume that there is an undocumented "Apple GPS" BT profile on recent iDevices. As this GPS is probably the only device in existence that uses it, not many users would be aware of it yet.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Without a no restocking fee, guaranteed refund in writing there would be no way I would try it.

Besides, at 89 euros, getting the 3G model with GPS built-in would have cost about the same...

craigvince

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GNS 5870 MFI Bluetooth GPS Receiver Made for iPhone/iPad/iTouch

I've been using one for 3 weeks now and it works flawlessly. I bought mine directly from the manufacturer for $99 on Amazon, but it cost me $60 in shipping! :(

I understand someone is selling them on eBay now and supposedly a local vendor (US) is going to be selling on Amazon this week. Sounds like they'll be at least a couple US companies to buy from and hopefully be cheaper now.

craigvince

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, it's stock out of the box.
The GNS 5870 is the only one that Apple actually certifies for the iPad and iPhone.
I get 3m accuracy with mine when I'm in the car or plane (I'm a pilot). Plus I consistently get 10m accuracy inside my house, not near any windows. It's that strong.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
Nice. I have the 3G model so I am not really worried about a puck. I havent use the iPad for much GPS wise beyond playing around and doing some geocaching. I am gonna see how well it keeps up this summer on my boat however. I have an in-car GPS so I have not needed the iPad there for directions.

I bet the screen is great in an airplane. Nice size to just glance at and get the info quickly - no squinting.

Bob Coxner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the Amazon reviews of the GNS 5870 says the seller is falsely claiming the gps is certified by Apple. I don't know either way. The reviews are not that great either.

There is a much cheaper Bluetooth GPS on Amazon. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/iBlue737A-i-Blue-737A-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B000KH7MZ4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top"]Amazon.com: iBlue737A+: i-Blue 737A+ Bluetooth GPS Receiver (66 ch, AGPS, Auto On/Off, WAAS): Electronics[/ame] $62, sold by Amazon and eligible for Prime/free shipping. Since it's sold direct by Amazon you have the excellent Amazon return policy to protect you if you're not happy with it for any reason. The GNS is 3rd party, so you're dependent on their return policy - which is unlikely to be as generous as Amazon's.

I haven't used the 737a, so I have no idea how well it plays with GPS apps. Again, the Amazon return policy would protect you if there are any problems. The reviews for it on Amazon are excellent.

craigvince

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a much cheaper Bluetooth GPS on Amazon. Amazon.com: iBlue737A+: i-Blue 737A+ Bluetooth GPS Receiver (66 ch, AGPS, Auto On/Off, WAAS): Electronics $62, sold by Amazon and eligible for Prime/free shipping. Since it's sold direct by Amazon you have the excellent Amazon return policy to protect you if you're not happy with it for any reason. The GNS is 3rd party, so you're dependent on their return policy - which is unlikely to be as generous as Amazon's.

It's actually not sold by Amazon, but rather by Semsons & Co. It is "fulfilled by Amazon", which just means Semsons & Co. sent the units to Amazon's warehouse and Amazon ships it for them.

That said, I've never had a problem with anything I bought on Amazon, regardless of who sold it. Returns are never a problem.

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Forgive me but I have a few questions, is that iBlue737A+ compatible with the iPad like the GNS 570, I read the reviews on Amazon and did not find any from anyone who has an iDevice. Also I am just really starting to research the apps and it seems to me that CoPilot appears to be the best one out there currently does anyone have another that they prefer. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

dppilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Craig...Is your iPad WiFi only or 3G? Did you need any software to make it work or does it just connect just like any other Bluetooth device and is automatically picked up by GPS apps?

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
?????

Craig...Is your iPad WiFi only or 3G? Did you need any software to make it work or does it just connect just like any other Bluetooth device and is automatically picked up by GPS apps?

I too would like to know this, after reading amazon reviews apparently it is wifi only

Last edited:

craigvince

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I too would like to know this, after reading amazon reviews apparently it is wifi only

My iPad is 3G, but this GPS unit works great on either version. I've been flying with it for over a month now and really love it. It's much more reliable than the built-in GPS on my 3G iPad. I have a friend with a WiFi only iPad and he has the same great results that I have.

On a side note, it seems the manufacturer has finally figured out they can ship from the US for only $10 instead of $60 from Germany. They're available on Amazon.

Most reactions