What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gmail: which app do you use?

nunovascolopes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello there.
i´m a new ipad mini user.
For now, i´m loving the experience of iOs.
But i need your help please.
I´v a gmail account which i already setup in the configurations. But one thing i notice it´s that it´s not push anymore new emails, instead, it´s only work reading new emails from time to time, ex:15min or more. This way it´s not good for battery, may i be wrong?
which app do you use for you gmail account?
many thanks

cheers

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have always used the built in App. Unless you jailbreak, you are locked down to the Apple Mail utility being opened when you want to send Emails from other applications.

For best battery life leave Push off, and Fetch hourly or manually. Under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

I see no need for Push email unless you use Gmail for work, that is time sensitive. You can always manually check your Email when you open the Mail app and pull down to refresh if desired.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You'll probably want to leave the Mail app account settings active so that you can mail from within other apps, as y2kgtp mentioned. It also gives you your Calendar syncing if you want it.

But you can use the GMail app as well. You can have both the default Mail and GMail app set up at the same time without any real problems. You'll get a little duplication in badges/notations (depending on your settings), but because both apps are server (IMAP) based they will update as soon as you open them (after a couple seconds).

You'll want to make sure you have all the alerts turned on for the GMail app under Settings > Notifications.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am actually giving the App a try on my iPhone and iPad. I like that it uses the filtering of the tags that you have hidden so not every single one is viewable. I also like a dedicated trash button. This eliminates the current 3 step process in the Apple mail app.

geetooeasy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a problem with the built in app. I have alot of emails over 13GB and it there is a lot of lag. Any suggestions?

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a problem with the built in app. I have alot of emails over 13GB and it there is a lot of lag. Any suggestions?

Do you mean 13MB? It will take a couple minutes to download\process an attachment that size even on the fastest of connections.

Most reactions