1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Gmail wants more ipad space

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by RikP, Oct 7, 2011.

1. RikP

RikP iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got a popup note saying Google was requesting more space for gmail. I clicked on the "refuse" option. How can I tell how much space my iPad is using for my gmail and how can I delete say all the messages from Jan 1 to Oct 1?
  2. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,025 / 1
    How are you accessing GMail on the iPad? Mail, Safari, or the web app? I'm guessing the web app.

I don't know of any way to check how much space a web app is using. I'm also having trouble believing that it needs a significant amount of space on the iPad, since it should be keeping just about everything except your current Inbox on the server.
  3. RikP

RikP iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I usually use the app, but now when I use safari I'm getting this message on my iPad: "Increase Database Size? Do you want to allow https://mail.google.com to use up to 10 MB of storage on your iPad" This I think was slightly different from the earlier message. I refused the first time and canceled this one. I don't get this message with the app. I think, however, I may have my mail settings wrong. I wish I could tell how space on the pad was allocated. I have an app called "Memory Dr" which gives some info and allows you to refresh the pad freeing up space. Right now it shows me having 17 MB free, 52 MB Wired, 20 MB Active and 15 MB of Inactive. But I think this is RAM and wouldn't have anything to do with storage space, would it? Thanks for your help, Mike
  4. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,025 / 1
    Ok, this will have nothing to do with your email settings. It means that Google is using one of the HTML 5 features to catch your email in the Safari app. Saying no should not keep this from working, but saying yes may speed up access to somefeatures and should allow local reading of of your inbox when you don't have internet access. That is a guess. To be certain you would have to find out what Google says about it.

To save it for this kind of quick access you need to save the bookmark to the home screen. This option is found under the box-arrow icon to the left of the URL bar.

One againI want to emphasise this is half guesswork based onwhat I know of HTML5 web apps. I've never attemted to use GMail this way.