What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gmail video chat on iPad 2?

lok222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know if it works? I use gmail video to talk to coworkers as well as family all over the world. Will I have to now use FaceTime? Or does gmail video work?

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been looking as well and haven't found one yet. They all seem obsessed with Google Voice (for phone calls).

NCTurner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lok222 said:
Anyone know if it works? I use gmail video to talk to coworkers as well as family all over the world. Will I have to now use FaceTime? Or does gmail video work?

Yes it does work. I was on my xoom, tethered to my droid x, my daughter was on her ipad2, tethered to her droid incredible, and we were video conferencing. I think she had to download something, not sure what though, but I think it prompted her.

OP
L

lok222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lok222 said:

Yes it does work. I was on my xoom, tethered to my droid x, my daughter was on her ipad2, tethered to her droid incredible, and we were video conferencing. I think she had to download something, not sure what though, but I think it prompted her.

Nice

Thanks

tack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am interested as well. I hope when Trillian updates for the iPad they add it!

Daerid

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Google requires Flash to do video, so I'm not sure how this would be accomplished unless using a 3rd party tool...

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I found one but its iPhone based... Vtok. However it seems limited as the developer oddly limited it to @gmail only so if you have a different institution email through google it may be a no go.

It is not beyond possibity, and no google does not just use flash. That just happens to be one delivery method. I can do video chat through iChat on my Mac.

There is also a google labs option in your Gmail to (mail settings, labs tab) to enable enhanced video which I think is VGA quality.

Last edited:
OP
L

lok222

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, got my iPad but so far haven't seen how to use gmail video chat

Marine 47

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too am disappointed that I cannot use Gmail video chat. I use it on my iMac to chat with my grandkids, but cannot do it on my iPad 2. Have to use Skype. Wish Apple would let Face Time work on PCs.

Most reactions