What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gmail does not show contacts

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

The Walrus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you set your GMail account up as an Exchange account, or the standard GMail option? Only the Exchange setup will sync your contacts. If you used the GMail option, delete it, then add your account again using the following instructions.

Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device : Google Sync (ActiveSync) - Google Mobile Help

If you want to sync multiple calendars be sure to follow the last link on the page for further instructions.

Thank you Twerppoet. That did it.:)

tofishteacher

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm afraid to set up sync because of possible duplicates and other unwanted side effects. All I want to do is just see them in a browser window, not have them sync with the ipad's contacts address book app. Can't I just see them in a browser window like I do on my PC's browser? I can't imagine what would prevent it from displaying.. it's just a website right?

scropper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried the exchange set up and kept getting the 'incorrect password' box...

Ended up simply syncing google contacts with iTunes and so now I have all my contacts on my iPad2 with only the IMAP set up.

S

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm afraid to set up sync because of possible duplicates and other unwanted side effects. All I want to do is just see them in a browser window, not have them sync with the ipad's contacts address book app. Can't I just see them in a browser window like I do on my PC's browser? I can't imagine what would prevent it from displaying.. it's just a website right?

Unfortunately GMail links the GMail and Contacts websites closely. It is difficult to get to the Contacts without first going to GMail, and unlike GMail itself there is no tablet optimized page for Contacts.

It's a terrible solution, but if you have to get to your contacts via the website using Safari, here is how to do it.

Go to the GMail site via Safari. Scroll to the bottom of the email list (even if the list is empty, the options are not shown until you scroll down). There you will see links to the desktop and HTML sites. Use the HTML site. The desktop version of contacts does not work properly with the iPad. Once you are in the HTML site, select Contacts from the left column.

You are now in a very ugly HTML version of GMail Contacts. It defaults to a short list Frequently Mailed contacts. Tap on All Contacts, or one of the Labels to the left to see more. It's not smart enough to recognize a business only address, so you may see a lot of 'unknowns' at the top.

You can now use the box/arrow icon to the left of URL bar to Add to Home Screen (for an ugly home screen icon), or just make a bookmark (in the Bookmarks Bar would be a good place. This will take you directly back to the HTML contacts page.

There is probably an app on the store that will get you a nicer interface with Google Contacts, but I haven't run across it. Sorry.

As far as being afraid to sync, it should not be a problem. You choose the Merge option. This may create some duplicates if contacts do not have precisely the same name, but the website (when visited on a desktop) has tools to let you weed out the duplicates. It is not that painful a process, and the results should be worth while.

pccoach

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Took a little bit to do it but followed the instructions you sent so I could get calendar and contacts synced. Had the same issue with password not being accepted but after a few minutes sync seemed to work and password error stopped. At least I can get the information without using iCloud. iCloud is having problems synchronizing with Outlook. For my purposes this works even if the interface isn't the prettiest. thank you.

Hypnosifl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you set your GMail account up as an Exchange account, or the standard GMail option? Only the Exchange setup will sync your contacts. If you used the GMail option, delete it, then add your account again using the following instructions.
Old thread, but I'm confused about this...twerppoet, what do you mean here by "delete it"? Delete your whole gmail account and re-register, or delete something else?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Old thread, but I'm confused about this...twerppoet, what do you mean here by "delete it"? Delete your whole gmail account and re-register, or delete something else?

Delete your default GMail (IMAP) account on the iPad in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars under the Accounts list. Then add it again using the linked Exchange setup instructions.

Though, it is not necessary to delete the account if you want to keep Notes syncing. You can go into the settings and turn off the Mail and Calendar syncing, so they don't interfere with the new account setup. This way you can keep your Notes syncing, if you want it.

But if you don't need/want your Notes synced to a folder in GMail, then it is less confusing to delete the old account setup; leaving you with just the Exchange setup.

At any rate, do not delete your actual GMail account with Google.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts