What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gmail account being accessed

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am using IM+ on my ipad and like it a lot. I use Trillian on my desktop and they interact well...messages show up on both when both are open.

However, my concern is that I have recently received two warnings from Gmail that my account was accessed and that if I do not recognize the IP, I should change my password. The second time, the IP belonged to the site that hosts Trillian. Does this mean they have access to my actual emails or is it just that as I log in with my user name and ID that it appears that Trillian has accessed my account. This makes me nervous as I rely on Instant Messaging to keep in touch with family members and would not like to have to do without it. Is there a safer instant messaging program to use if, in fact, my email account is in jeopardy? Any advice would be appreciated.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why did you have to supply your Gmail account info to Trillian? Does it support Google chat, and maybe that is why? If not I don't know why it would be logging into your gmail account.

OP
michali

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It also notifies me of my emails in Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well then there is your answer. Personally I would not hand over my email account passwords to a third party like that. No way.

OP
michali

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The funny thing is that I have had it set up like this for ages and never had a problem but you are right! I have now deleted the account info and using the program purely for instant messaging. Hopefully, this will solve the problem...we will see!

OP
michali

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am resurrecting this thread as I had a similar problem today...a message from Gmail that my account was accessed by someone I could not identify. Once again I changed my password but it made me wonder again if downloading apps that require my gmail password is safe. I like office apps from which I can retrieve google docs, like office 2HD, Quickoffice, Goodreader etc. But of course, you have to enter your account details to retrieve files from Googledocs, Dropbox, Box.net. As I never used to have problems with gmail...had the same password for ages, I am wondering what has changed to cause the messages and can only wonder if it is safe to use these apps that require account details to access files. Any advice please or opinions?

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am resurrecting this thread as I had a similar problem today...a message from Gmail that my account was accessed by someone I could not identify. Once again I changed my password but it made me wonder again if downloading apps that require my gmail password is safe. I like office apps from which I can retrieve google docs, like office 2HD, Quickoffice, Goodreader etc. But of course, you have to enter your account details to retrieve files from Googledocs, Dropbox, Box.net. As I never used to have problems with gmail...had the same password for ages, I am wondering what has changed to cause the messages and can only wonder if it is safe to use these apps that require account details to access files. Any advice please or opinions?

Hi your problem is not a problem at all … recently google change their security setting … let me give you an example … you connect your iPad with your Gmail … if you open your Gmail with your desktop you will see when your iPad retrieve your email a connection in your Gmail so for your Aduim is the same i believe you have set Gtalk so every time he connect you can see in your browser the connection …. many people panic when they read this warning the first time , witch in fact is just an information

Hope that make you feel more safe

OP
michali

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I realize that each time I open up mail on my iPad, it will show up on the desktop but this particular entry was from California...I did more research and traced it back to Gist, the app I installed to integrate all my accounts. I can live without it, so I deleted the account. Maybe that was unnecessary but I feel more comfortable now!

the.lost.one

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i had the same problem with Agile messenger. gmail showed that it had been accessed by an amazon server in the US. it happened the two times i used gmail chat on agile messenger.

then i stopped using it, and changed my passed and turned on two-way authentication.

Most reactions