What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glitch on my ipad

TracyBrooks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I, I'm new to iPad, really enjoying it so far but have a glitch on my Facebook app. My profile page won't load. It loads fine on all other Facebook style app and pc and my iPhone just not Facebook for iPad. Would be really grateful for any help.
Thank you

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

When an app behaves strangely it is best to close it completely and then relaunch it. From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your screen. It's also a good idea to close all these apps, as it helps the iPad run smoothly, let us know if this has fixed your issue.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help...shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
T

TracyBrooks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for you reply. I have tried to re start, close down and have also deleted the Facebook app and reinstalled twice. My profile appears on my iPhone app also friendly and my pad just not on iPad. I have messaged fb help but had no reply as yet. I am usually pretty good at this kind of stuff but this one has left me at a loss. My profile page tries to load but all I get is the http address at the top of a blank page. Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem and may have some answers.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
brooksco said:
Thank you for you reply. I have tried to re start, close down and have also deleted the Facebook app and reinstalled twice. My profile appears on my iPhone app also friendly and my pad just not on iPad. I have messaged fb help but had no reply as yet. I am usually pretty good at this kind of stuff but this one has left me at a loss. My profile page tries to load but all I get is the http address at the top of a blank page. Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem and may have some answers.

There was a recent update for the iPad to IOS6 and there was also a very recent update for FB. Have you done either of these updates.....if you have done one without the other, you may experience problems. FB has now been integrated into the iPad more fully. When the iPad is upgraded, apps are also updated as to run better on this OS
Could this be your problem....let us know.

OP
T

TracyBrooks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
There was a recent update for the iPad to IOS6 and there was also a very recent update for FB. Have you done either of these updates.....if you have done one without the other, you may experience problems. FB has now been integrated into the iPad more fully. When the iPad is upgraded, apps are also updated as to run better on this OS
Could this be your problem....let us know.

Hi, thank you again for your help. I have updated Facebook and the iPad to lOS6. I have removed the Facebook app and reinstalled it many times now but still on the profile page I just get the http address in the blue bar and a blank page. It's not like I need to use it a lot but it is so frustrating as I just can see why it won't load. Any further help will be gratefully received.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
brooksco said:
Hi, thank you again for your help. I have updated Facebook and the iPad to lOS6. I have removed the Facebook app and reinstalled it many times now but still on the profile page I just get the http address in the blue bar and a blank page. It's not like I need to use it a lot but it is so frustrating as I just can see why it won't load. Any further help will be gratefully received.

I would try a reset of your iPad which is a recommended step after updating an iPad. It will not change anything on your iPad and is akin to rebooting a pc.

Reset - Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start. Let us know if it makes a difference here!

OP
T

TracyBrooks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
I would try a reset of your iPad which is a recommended step after updating an iPad. It will not change anything on your iPad and is akin to rebooting a pc.

Reset - Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start. Let us know if it makes a difference here!

Hi, tried the re set and nothing has changed. I can only imagine there is a bug on my iPad Facebook. I have messaged facebook help twice but have not had a response yet. Thank you for suggestions, any more welcome.

ringlert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm new here, my wife uses an iPad2. Also have a Facebook problem. Sounds similier. She starts Facebook. Gets a white srceen, immediately followed by a blue screen with Facebook written across the center. It then disappears, going back to the normal apps screen. If you go check the running apps, it shows Facebook running. Still running IOS5, updated Facebook the other night to ver. 47423. Have not deleted Facebook app and reloaded. I guess that would be the next thing but am not sure what gets deleted when apps are deleted. When you go to delete the app, it says has a warning that data will be lost. Is any important facebook data actually lost or is the warning talking about the app only? When Facebook was initially updated it didn't work for several housr, then started working. Worked for several days and now has not worked for 2 days. Sorry about the length, I was trying to get all the info in. I guess the question is; is deleting the app any big deal, unless somebody has the actual cause of this problem.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ringlert said:
I'm new here, my wife uses an iPad2. Also have a Facebook problem. Sounds similier. She starts Facebook. Gets a white srceen, immediately followed by a blue screen with Facebook written across the center. It then disappears, going back to the normal apps screen. If you go check the running apps, it shows Facebook running. Still running IOS5, updated Facebook the other night to ver. 47423. Have not deleted Facebook app and reloaded. I guess that would be the next thing but am not sure what gets deleted when apps are deleted. When you go to delete the app, it says has a warning that data will be lost. Is any important facebook data actually lost or is the warning talking about the app only? When Facebook was initially updated it didn't work for several housr, then started working. Worked for several days and now has not worked for 2 days. Sorry about the length, I was trying to get all the info in. I guess the question is; is deleting the app any big deal, unless somebody has the actual cause of this problem.

We appreciate all the info you can give us, small details may be the most important. I would try the usual first 3 steps and see how you go here. Close your app completely, a restart and a reset.

When an app behaves strangely it is best to close it completely and then relaunch it. From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press the app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your screen. It's also a good idea to close all these apps, as it helps the iPad run smoothly....now see if it is operating, if not a restart is in order.

Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will restart. You should restart your iPad occasionally also as it will keep it running well. Now see if it is operating.

Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start. Let us know how you go.

Photos or private messages may be what they mean by lost data if you delete the app....do you backup your iPad?

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
brooksco said:
Hi, tried the re set and nothing has changed. I can only imagine there is a bug on my iPad Facebook. I have messaged facebook help twice but have not had a response yet. Thank you for suggestions, any more welcome.

I have heard that some settings have changed in FB. Well photos certainly have, you now need to change a setting to be able to download photos from FB to your camera roll, so maybe some others have changed too. Sorry I haven't updated as yet so don't know exactly what changes there may be. Also check your privacy settings in the FB app and see if these need to be tweaked.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
leelai said:
I have heard that some settings have changed in FB. Well photos certainly have, you now need to change a setting to be able to download photos from FB to your camera roll, so maybe some others have changed too. Sorry I haven't updated as yet so don't know exactly what changes there may be. Also check your privacy settings in the FB app and see if these need to be tweaked.

iOS 6 adds a privacy setting. Apps no longer have automatic access to your photos, contacts etc. you have to give them permission.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
iOS 6 adds a privacy setting. Apps no longer have automatic access to your photos, contacts etc. you have to give them permission.

I guess I should just do the update but I was thinking of JB.....I did this the last time too....trying to build up the courage......:O

my daughter has though and that's the first thing she showed me, all her FB contacts are now in her contacts. She takes her iPad with her everywhere so I haven't been able to see what else has changed. She's always talking to Siri too, amazing little gadget that is.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Main reason I updated was because of the integration across devices, since I intend to get an MBP at some point. I'm using Jasmine for YouTube, and for the part of the world that I'm interested in, Maps is quite adequate. (Unlike others, who seem content to whine, I'm submitting bug reports to Apple since this is easy to do, and will lead to quicker improvements.)

I've even been persuaded to get a Twitter account, after resisting it for so long, and might also see whether Facebook has any use after all. Safari downloads way faster than it did on iOS 5, Siri is not available to me as I'm on iPad 2 and iPhone 4.

I don't regret updating. iOS 6 is an improvement overall, and even if the divorce from Google hurts a bit right now, I think the future looks OK.

OP
T

TracyBrooks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, still no response from Facebook help re: my missing profile page. Today, unfortunately may mindjolt app decided not to open on iPad any more. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same problem. I have re set deleted and re installed but with no joy. I try to open it and after a few seconds of trying to load it disappears. Any ideas please?

ringlert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To Brooksco,
I am also new here. I saw you had a problem with Facebook, I did to, so I kinda hijacked you problem and interjected mine. That can confuse things. Sorry about that. I'm going to move my problem to where it is probably more appropriate.

Most reactions

Latest posts