What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giving ipad to daughter

hoopybunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello.I'm so happy I happened upon this forum. I'm a dinosaur when it comes to technology. I want to give my ipad 1 to my daughter and purchase the ipad 5 when it comes out. Will she need to know my passwords for apple, etc or can she basically reregister the ipad for herself? Will she lose the apps I've purchased? Sorry. but I have no one else to ask! thanks so much!

stil29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello.I'm so happy I happened upon this forum. I'm a dinosaur when it comes to technology. I want to give my ipad 1 to my daughter and purchase the ipad 5 when it comes out. Will she need to know my passwords for apple, etc or can she basically reregister the ipad for herself? Will she lose the apps I've purchased? Sorry. but I have no one else to ask! thanks so much!

In order to keep the apps she will have to know your passwords or she can restore the iPad and get her own apps

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would recommend you restore the iPad to factory state (wipe all data) before giving it to her. This will allow her to have her own set of data while protecting your Apple ID. Otherwise she will need you to input your Apple ID every time she wants to use the App Store or iTunes - this will prevent running up a bill unknowingly.

Last edited:

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You did not mention the age of your daughter - is she an adult? Then she can just set up her own iTunes/Apple Account. If she is younger living with you, you could simply just share the Apple ID used for iTunes purchases. I do this for my wife and 3 kids in the house. I purchase a game or App, and install it on all the devices in the house. Everyone has a separate iCloud account for backups, as the kids iPods seldom get connected to a PC.

Most reactions