Giving ipad a break

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by islandman, May 10, 2015.

1. islandman

islandman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    During the day at home,I use my laptop mostly, but when I go to bed, it became usual to spend up to an hour using my ipad, then again when I woke early.

Then came headaches. I put it down to rapid eye movement. Using the laptop requires focusing as pages move one way, then with ipad,movement is different. I suppose I should add that I am mid 70's.

So, apart from short bursts during the day, the ipad will remain unused. If headaches clear, then I know it was that. One thing I will do, is change settings to reduced power which I believe will reduce glare.

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Using the iPad with the screen brightness turned up too high has been known to cause eye strain and the resulting headaches. My brightness is never set more than a third of the way to maximum, sometimes less in a dark room.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Gtatler

Gtatler
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Early 70's, and my average usage during day is about 5 - 6 hours. Never causes headaches, although at one time I too was developing them whilst using a PC. It was cleared up by an eye test and new glasses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I assume you use reading glasses, and I suspect the problem is they aren't the right strength for the task. This is especially important if you, like me, have had cataract surgery. I use +1.5 diopter with my iMac, but need +2.25 to use my iPad in my lap because it's closer. Perhaps your eyes changed recently, and your old glasses are no longer adequate.

5. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    @islandman....there are muscles in your neck which become overly contracted and tight which can cause tension headaches, dizziness and head/facial pain. Often times when I evaluate patients who utilize a laptop, computer, iPad, or reading-these muscles are often tight and rigid. Some of the trigger muscles that become tight include the sternocleidomastoid, upper trapezius and suboccipital muscles. Often times a forward head posture or propping too many pillows under your head can cause these muscles to overwork.

So for all of my patients, I tell them to watch their posture. Prop your iPad on a pillow to keep your head/neck straighter. As for the brightness which @scifan57 mentioned, that too can also trigger headache symptoms and eye strain.

Good luck!

6. Becneelan

Becneelan
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    You shouldn't use the iPad continuously for more than 30 minutes at a time.

Give your eyes a break