What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giving ipad a break

I

islandman

Last edited by a moderator:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Using the iPad with the screen brightness turned up too high has been known to cause eye strain and the resulting headaches. My brightness is never set more than a third of the way to maximum, sometimes less in a dark room.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Early 70's, and my average usage during day is about 5 - 6 hours. Never causes headaches, although at one time I too was developing them whilst using a PC. It was cleared up by an eye test and new glasses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I assume you use reading glasses, and I suspect the problem is they aren't the right strength for the task. This is especially important if you, like me, have had cataract surgery. I use +1.5 diopter with my iMac, but need +2.25 to use my iPad in my lap because it's closer. Perhaps your eyes changed recently, and your old glasses are no longer adequate.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
@islandman....there are muscles in your neck which become overly contracted and tight which can cause tension headaches, dizziness and head/facial pain. Often times when I evaluate patients who utilize a laptop, computer, iPad, or reading-these muscles are often tight and rigid. Some of the trigger muscles that become tight include the sternocleidomastoid, upper trapezius and suboccipital muscles. Often times a forward head posture or propping too many pillows under your head can cause these muscles to overwork.

So for all of my patients, I tell them to watch their posture. Prop your iPad on a pillow to keep your head/neck straighter. As for the brightness which @scifan57 mentioned, that too can also trigger headache symptoms and eye strain.

Good luck!

Becneelan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You shouldn't use the iPad continuously for more than 30 minutes at a time.

Give your eyes a break

Most reactions

Latest posts