Gifting an iPad to Mac/PC Neophytes

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by hightimes, Aug 17, 2010.

1. hightimes

hightimes
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm considering giving my parents an iPad as a gift but here's the rub:
    1. Both are retirees and with a minimum of computer know-how
    2. Current computer is 10 year old PC running Windows XP
    3. Just got them off dial-up last year
    4. They live 3.5 hours away
    5. Neither has ever used any kind of Mac product
    6. Leery of internet purchases (i.e. I don't know how they would like the idea of having their cc registered on itunes)
    7. They don't do any heavy computing, just web surfing/e-mail
    8. My last Mac was that little boxy thing about 20 years ago

Here's my dilemma: My mom is frustrated with the PC - it's just too cumbersome, takes too long to boot, too compilcated, and she hates being tied to a room. I'd considered getting her a netbook but I'm pretty sure she'd hate the tiny screen. And a laptop is out because I know she'd hate dragging something like that around the house.

Given their situation and needs I figured the iPad would be perfect for them. Lightweight, mobile (they have wireless), yada, yada, yada. Now the real question is...how easy is it for someone not familiar with computers to learn? I'm too far away to drop by if they have a problem and not familiar enough with the iPad or Mac products in general to give them advice over the phone.

Anyone out there gift an iPad to a non-techie?

2. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    My mom is about the most non tech savvy in the world and I got her an iMac and she loves it. I got my little brother an iPad, and she has used it and has no problem.

3. Holly

Holly
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I am retired. My main computer is older than your parents. My net book is only used to synch my pad - I really wouldn't recommend it as a substitute new one to replace the XP. I love it for surfing speed, book reading and playing basic games. They can email any questions. Or..... You could set it up on your laptop and when you visit back it up.
    I am Canadian so it might be different for you but maybe registered gift cards might be an answer to the CC problem. The wish/gift list on Amazon might help too.

4. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    If your parents gave birth to an intelligent learning being should they not have the same talents? Give them the tools, the way to search for answers, they'll manage. That's all they need...

5. hightimes

hightimes
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the responses!

You know that one Mac commercial with Justin Long, the one where the gal says, "I just want it to work!" - that's my mom. She doesn't want to spend hours researching or toying with something trying to figure out how it works or why it doesn't (as is often the case with their PC). I don't want to give them another device that causes them frustration...I want to make sure that by giving them an iPad, I'm not just giving them a case of "same headaches...different platform."

I found out there's an Apple store near them. Could they take their iPad in for some quick questions? Is that frowned upon? What about lack of flash support - has that been an issue for her?

6. henry2

henry2
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    they a should not have a problem with it with some basic ideas of how to use it with you takeing them through some basic of how it would work ..

7. iVan

iVan
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Give them this site's address!:)

8. hightimes

hightimes
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Noob Question

Dumb question - do you need a computer to configure the iPad? That is, can I run it out of the box without hooking it up to a PC/Mac?

9. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    They can in fact go to the apple store and they actually have classes to learn how to use all their products including the iPad.

If they don't have a computer or don't know how to set it up they will do it at the apple store. I even asked about if my little brother could bring his ipad to an apple store to get the system updates if he doesn't have a computer at school and they said yes.

They are very customer oriented and will do anything they can to keep you happy and buying apple products.

10. Prasius

Prasius
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Out of curiosity about what would happen I gave my iPad to my dad to look at... This is a man who won't even use an ATM.. And within 5 minutes he was flicking through gardening websites with very little coaching.

I think this is a good thing. :)