What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting tones on my mini

pcdebb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all :)

I am attempting to import a few sound files to customize events, such as for new mail, etc. I think I'm missing a step and can't find a bookmark that walked me they this. I know I make the acc version, find the file and change the extension to m4r. I have the tones folder in iTunes but can't seen to get them to show up to sync. I've tried everything but the right thing...apparently.

Help?

Sent from my iPad mini using iPF app

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For many of the system sounds, you might have to manually put them onto your iPad. In the default tones for the events, you'd replace them with your custom tone under the same name as the iOS would only recognize that specific file name. I know this can be done on a jailbroken device but not sure about a stock device. I'll see if I can get my hands on a stock device and test it out to see if it's possible. IIRC, you can import ringtones and use them with the AAC/M4R method, but for system sounds like Messages, Emails, etc, you need to do it manually.

OP
P

pcdebb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shouldn't I be able to get tones synced over as I would do for an iPhone?

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For system tones and sounds I don't think syncing the sound clips over would work since they're not built to change on the iOS AFAIK. For ringtones that's different

OP
P

pcdebb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For the sound I'm wanting to change, it has a section for ringtones, and shows all the default choices. When I did it for my phone, my custom ones would show there so I can change it for new mail, Facebook, etc

Attachments

• image-3802499960.jpg
    image-3802499960.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Instead of renaming the extension, try syncing or dragging and dropping the AAC sound clip over.

OP
P

pcdebb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dragging over the acc version didnt work, I knew it should be the m4r file to show up as tones. I worked on where I was dragging it and that seems to work. There were two tones folders I saw, so from Windows Explorer, I dragged it that way into one of them. I got it now :)

thanks for your help :)

Most reactions

Latest posts