What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting the most out of iOS 6

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That was a very confusing read. I had to read it twice to see if I was doing it right.

So it is set as "off" as the default....but that means that the it allows he ad tracker to track things.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's what Apple has to say about add tracking if you click on the learn more link at the bottom of the add tracking page in settings. Notice it doesn't explain how to properly turn off add tracking.

image-218608381.jpg

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
That was a very confusing read. I had to read it twice to see if I was doing it right.

So it is set as "off" as the default....but that means that the it allows he ad tracker to track things.

Right, that's what I got out of it too. Wasn't very clear!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Limit ad tracking on means to limit ad tracking.

Limit ad tracking off means to not limit ad tracking.

Right?

That is a confusing article. There are seemingly conflicting statements made.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Basically, the Apple default is to track, so change to the opposite to not track.

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
According to this article, the default is to not track.

This is what I read on the article:

If you go on to download an app, the ad server can see what led you to that download, something which was impossible to track previously. There’s no personally-identifiable data, but the fact that Apple has it turned on by default might frustrate or upset some privacy advocates.

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe this will help clarify:

Apple brings back ad tracking in iOS 6, how to turn it off | News | TechRadar

From that link:

To opt out, users can go into their devices Settings and choose the "General" then "About" menu options to find the "Advertising" settings. From there, users will see the confusing "Limit Ad Tracking" option, which is set to be off by default.

When off, the device will not limit ad tracking, or in plain English, it will allow ad tracking. By turning "Limit Ad Tracking" on, users can disable their IDFA number.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, Kaykaykay--glad to get clarification. Seems like I wasn't the only one that had difficulty understanding this!

Spugnut

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The feature i love the most in IOS6 is the multiple mail signatures for the different mail accounts. No I no longer have to modify my rather lengthy businesses signature to a more sensible on each time I send a private mail.

Most reactions

Latest posts