What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting the most out of iOS 6

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We've all heard about probs with iOS 6, so I figure it'd be useful to have a thread dedicated to sharing tips on how to get the most out of it, especially for users who've upgraded and can't downgrade, or users who are hesitant to upgrade.

I'll paste some links to get things started, and maybe others can add tips, links and positive discoveries specific to iOS 6:

iPhone tips and tricks with iOS 6 - Pocket-lint

Top 10 Secret Features of iOS 6

iPhone User Guide for iOS 6 now available as an eBook | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

Alternatives to iOS 6's Maps app | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great information. I am going to put this with all the other iOS 6 threads so that everyone can find all the threads.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Kay for the links and mentioning the positives of ios 6 with this thread!!

Thanks, twerppoet also for the link as well! :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Two other things I've noticed.

You can now share your calendars with other iCloud users directly from the iPad. You used to have to go to icloud.com on a computer to do this.

The changes to how Open In.. works now lets it list more than 10 apps. You can have several swipe-able screens of nine apps/actions each. At least I'm pretty sure more than 10 apps will show. More than ten items will, but I don't have 10 apps for anything to test my theory. ;)

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
No more native YouTube app on iOS 6, but I've read about these other possibilities:

Temporarily use the iPhone version of the YouTube app, whiling rooting for an iPad version to show up in the app store sooner than later. Or use YouTube from your browser (Safari or otherwise).

Or maybe try these:

Jasmine is a Gorgeous, Free YouTube App for iPhone and iPad

Video Discovery Startup Squrl Adds Recommendations And Search Capabilities To iOS App | TechCrunch

Jasmine is great. I downloaded it earlier today. Works a treat.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Improvements to Mail include Pull to Refresh, individual signatures for accounts, bold/italic/underline and attach from email, rather than the old "build mail round attachment".

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Positive news about iOS Maps

Evetually maps will get much better. One bright note was found in a comparison of the Apple Maps vs Google's app. In most situations, there were little difference between the two, but by using a better downloading technique, Apple uses less than a third of the download amount to achieve the same effect. Often the first thing you do when you get a map, is zoom in or out. With Google, the image downloads with every zoom. With Apple, the initial download has all the info needed, so zooms can download quicker, and you save valuable data plan capacity. Here is a link to the article: http://gizmodo.com/5948066/there-is-one-thing-that-apple-maps-is-a-lot-better-than-google-maps-at

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The intent of the OP is to discuss "Getting the Most out of iOS 6."

Please be respectful of the topic discussion and post related comments how you, as a member is getting the most out of iOS 6.

Discussions related to the negative impacts of this update will be deleted without notice. Please use the search to see the existing threads for these discussion.

Thank you.
Ski..
.iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

Most reactions

Latest posts