What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting the Most From Your 16GB iPad

ObiJohnKenobi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hey my first post! Well, second if you count my new member introduction post.

I recently acquired a 16GB 4th Gen on eBay. Going in I was hesitant due to the limitations of so little memory, but the deal was just too good to pass up (and I lucked out that I didn't have any activation lock problems from the previous owner).

I feel like I'm doing alright with my 16 GB. I haven't synced any movies or music to the iPad. I stream all of my entertainment through Netflix, etc. I delete apps that I don't use frequently and just download them again if I need them. I keep my Camera Roll clean. It all takes some maintenance effort, but it's not too bad.

Which of you have a 16GB, and what are your strategies to deal with the small memory capacity? And those of you with more memory, has it been worth the extra $$$ you paid?

Elux72

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You've pretty much said exactly what I do with my 16GB devices. I do have a decent collection of songs on them at the moment, though, but some of these will be deleted soon. There are times when I wish I had more capacity, but overall, especially price-wise, going with 16GB has worked fine for me. That's the best thing about iCloud...you can buy, watch/listen/use, and then delete if necessary.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My oldest daughter has had a 16GB iPad 2 for a while now and she always manages to keep space on there. It does require some management and app clean up but this isn't as hard as people think it is. If you are a huge video user or have zillions of photos then it makes it tougher but for the most part it's easy to shuffle things around and move things on and off the iPad as needed. That's the beauty of the App Store: you can install an app you paid for anytime you like and remove it from your device anytime you like.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Considering my first computer had 64 KB of RAM and stored everything to cassette tapes working with 16 GB isn't an issue.

I don't load, or keep, applications installed that I don't often use and routinely backup and then delete photos, videos and documents that I don't need to access frequently.

I've got about 5 TB available for offline storage on my home network if I need it for long term storage.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am not a big fan of music, still a fan though. Same with movies. I rarely put any songs and videos in my iPad. I delete photos I don't need. My main entertainment is internet and games. I download twitter and facebook for social networking and flipboard and some apps that updates me when there are games that become free. Really handy.

For me 16 GB is more than enough for me.

Accidentalmeme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You've pretty much said exactly what I do with my 16GB devices. I do have a decent collection of songs on them at the moment, though, but some of these will be deleted soon. There are times when I wish I had more capacity, but overall, especially price-wise, going with 16GB has worked fine for me. That's the best thing about iCloud...you can buy, watch/listen/use, and then delete if necessary.
The first thing I deleted this year (2014) was the app "Candy Crush Saga"

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It mainly depends on how you use your iPad.. I use mine mainly for mobile net access.. I browse, stream audio, and read mail. I have some nav apps and use the iPad as a GPS. I also have a few photos I like to show to friends and I've got about 4 Gigs of music

When I got my first iPad (The original iPad 1), I didn't know how much memory I'd need. They came in 16, 32 and 64 Gig models. I split the difference and got the 32 Gig one. After owning it for four years, I only managed to use up 10 Gigs. So in other words, I paid for 16 Gigs that I never needed... I upgraded to an iPad Air recently and I opted for the 16 Gig model.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have 2 16 gig iPads. I agree with others that they just have to be "managed". That and I do not store movies on either. I don't regret either being 16 but also wouldn't mind 32's if I have the extra money to spare on that type of thing where their are so many other places I can use the money in life.

OP
ObiJohnKenobi

ObiJohnKenobi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey my first post! Well, second if you count my new member introduction post.

I recently acquired a 16GB 4th Gen on eBay. Going in I was hesitant due to the limitations of so little memory, but the deal was just too good to pass up (and I lucked out that I didn't have any activation lock problems from the previous owner).

I feel like I'm doing alright with my 16 GB. I haven't synced any movies or music to the iPad. I stream all of my entertainment through Netflix, etc. I delete apps that I don't use frequently and just download them again if I need them. I keep my Camera Roll clean. It all takes some maintenance effort, but it's not too bad.

Which of you have a 16GB, and what are your strategies to deal with the small memory capacity? And those of you with more memory, has it been worth the extra $$$ you paid?

All of my devices are 16gb and I do the same things you do, works great for me.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It all comes down to management and being realistic about moving apps and songs on and off the device as needed. Not that hard, IMO. I do have a 32GB device but both daughters have 16GB and they are both great at keeping things neat and tidy. They have to be! Those silly photos and stuff are fun but can be safely deleted after a few days. Just keep the good ones of which there aren't ever many. With several radio apps and all that, how many songs do you really need stored locally? Same for netflix, hulu, and the amazon app. There is so much to stream..... You'll find something to watch.

Most reactions

Latest posts