What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting rid of iPad Genius

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So Apple snuck in the Apple Genius icon into my App Store on my iPad overnight (they snuck it in as a push via the App Store...sneaky). Check it out, if you're in the US, you should have it too...right beside your Updates icon in the iPads' App Store.

Anyway, I don't use Genius, so I'd rather not see the icon. I've looked through Settings and there's no way to get rid of it. Has anybody else figured out how to get rid of it?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could use some of this in the corner of your screen --

18069_lg.jpg

It did a great job of getting rid of the flashing 12:00 on my VCR and the Check Engine light on my car!

OP
P

Purpleorchid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ha ha (in a sarcastic slow beat). But if I used that black tape, one of my dashboard dock icons will also be covered. How do I apply it without bubblese? Will it leave a sticky residue if I remove it? Does it come in any other colors? Will it affect my wifi signal? </sarcasm>

I just checked the App Store screen again, and the icons magically got semi-alphabetized, so now it's the second icon instead of being the last. I never look at Featured, and now Genius is beside it. It's just as well, now I only have to look at the right hand side icons for what I need.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tried the genius, but not impressed as it recommended an app I already have....

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just ignore it - it is about as useful on the iPad as it is the iPhone.

"Oh, you like that app? I'll recommend 20 other apps that do EXACTLY THE SAME THING, just not as well as the one you've already got! Ta-daaah! Aren't I clever?!"

No. Really. You're not. Genius? Oxymoron. Pandora (before they nerfed it for non-US users), Last.fm and Amazon recommendeds you most certainly aren't.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The other thing I learned from the CNET article posted elsewhere in this forum is that the "genius" will also inform you of upgrades from free or "lite" versions of apps you have to paid versions. The bean counters at One Infinite Loop must have put that feature in there!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you dont use it just ignore it...its not taking up space...there was room for one more icon...lol.

I barely even notice its there.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All this shows it that you spend too much time surfing the AppStore.............

That said there are certain other icons I could cheerfully gouge from my screen. YouTube for a start and that dreadful iPod one.

Most reactions

Latest posts