What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting rid of doubled apps

padibus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi from France,
How can I prevent apps getting downloaded to both my iPad1 and my iPhone after an AppStore download on either device. And how can I get rid of those apps that already exist twice on my iPad, i.e. I have 1password in the dock and also amongst the other apps.

TIA

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not certain about duplicate apps on one device, I've not come across that before, but to stop apps downloading on other devices follow this.......

The Archangel

Attachments

• image-3544996243.png
    image-3544996243.png
    234.9 KB · Views: 344

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's impossible on a non jail broken iPad to have two copies of the same app installed.

iwoodland

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is not quite correct. I have a non jb iPad and I have duplicates. The reason being that If you buy an iPhone app and there is a version of the app for iPad it can be downloaded onto the iPad, and then on sync, the iPhone copy of the app also downloads meaning there is a duplicate. Really it's an iPad app and iPhone app of the same app.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Really it's an iPad app and iPhone app of the same app.

That is correct. It's possible to have two apps with the same name installed, however they are not duplicates of the same app.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
padibus

padibus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tnx for the infos. As I'm actually traveling I'll check again after the next iTunes/iMac sync.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Ksingernc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I don't have an iPhone, only an iPad. In my purchased apps in the store, I can see both the iPhone and iPad versions of some apps. Other apps I have in just the iPhone version (but they run on the iPad, like Bejeweled) or just the iPad version. In I Tunes I only see each app listed once divided by whether they can run on one or both devices. Can I, or do I need to, delete the iPhone versions of apps when I have duplicates? When I back up to my Mac, are both versions backed up? If so, can I prevent backing up the iPhone duplicates? I hope this question makes some sense. Thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

I don't have an iPhone, only an iPad. In my purchased apps in the store, I can see both the iPhone and iPad versions of some apps. Other apps I have in just the iPhone version (but they run on the iPad, like Bejeweled) or just the iPad version. In I Tunes I only see each app listed once divided by whether they can run on one or both devices. Can I, or do I need to, delete the iPhone versions of apps when I have duplicates? When I back up to my Mac, are both versions backed up? If so, can I prevent backing up the iPhone duplicates? I hope this question makes some sense. Thanks.

No, those apps that are universal (have that little white plus sign) will show up in both the iPad and in the iPhone section. It looks as if they are duplicates, but that is how they are displayed by Apple. You are safe to ignore them. In fact, if you delete what looks to be an iPhone app, you are deleting the only app you have. It's the same app, just listed differently by Apple.

I hope this clarifies. Holler back if it didn't.

Marilyn

Most reactions