What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting my IPad on Monday

tortmad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new here and my IPad is being delivered on Monday. I am really excited about it but I am a bit confused about a few things. I have picked up lots of tips on this forum which is great. I understand that I need to register on i-Tunes but why do I need to sync to my laptop. I don't have anything on the laptop i want on the iPad and I have never had an iPhone.

Plus my e-mail account is MSN Hotmail will I be able to access this on the iPad?

Thanks very much for your help.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
I am new here and my IPad is being delivered on Monday. I am really excited about it but I am a bit confused about a few things. I have picked up lots of tips on this forum which is great. I understand that I need to register on i-Tunes but why do I need to sync to my laptop. I don't have anything on the laptop i want on the iPad and I have never had an iPhone.

Plus my e-mail account is MSN Hotmail will I be able to access this on the iPad?

all iPads have to sync with iTunes at least once just to become activated. If you are getting it from the apple store you could ask them to connect it to one of their Macs and activate it for you so that you dont need to at home.

If your getting it by mail to be ready when it arrives download itunes and have it installed on your computer. You will also want to go ahead and register an iTunes account so that you can start browsing the app store on the iPad and download any apps that you want.

and yes your email account will work on the iPad and its very simple to setup.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
(Mike beat me by 1 minute)

I don't have anything on the laptop i want on the iPad...
...yet! iTunes is your portal to the iPad. You can literally do everything from your iPad once it is registered and theoretically would never have to use iTunes ever again. The one thing using iTunes will do for you, however, is back up your entire iPad every time you sync. In the event you would ever need to restore your iPad to its original condition, you would lose EVERYTHING. But with iTunes, you can restore all your "stuff".

After all, the three rules of computing are; location, location, location. No wait, that's for real estate. For computers, its; backup, backup, backup!

I don't have Hotmail, but I do have Gmail and you should be able to access any web-based email account from your iPad.

IPad-Fan-64

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you can get gmail on the iPad then you should be able to add your hotmail email account to it.

All you do is go to

Settings> Mail,contacts,calendars>add account

You just enter your email address and your password and your set up.

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com

While you are waiting, download the iPad User Guide from Apple and spend some time reading. It is worth it.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad automatically configured my hotmail.com email account once I entered my username and password into the setup utility. I've no no difficulty sending or receiving email since day one. One note: Deleting hotmail messages from your iPad will not delete them from the hotmail server and will still be displayed if accessed from the web client.

poshpantspaddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You will also need to use iTunes to get movies and music on to your iPad (for the most part). Not to mention when there are software up dates. I wouldn't worry about though it's not a huge deal. Apple seem to be edging slowly towards wireless syncing and cloud based management but it a bit off yet. Good luck.

OP
T

tortmad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I have set up i-Tunes and had a look at the manual now. It is coming today via carrier so i am sitting here with a wee empty case waiting to fill it.

keroro1979

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you first ordered it, was the estimated dispatch/delivery time accurate?

Im only asking because I ordered mine last week, and its due for dispatch on the 6th, delivery on the 8th. Unfortunately, I only work wed pm, thursday and friday all day, and its (typically!) due for delivery next Thursday.

Of course, if it has arrived by now, you will be too busy playing to answer, which is completely understandable :D

OP
T

tortmad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I first ordered it they gave me a delivery date of 8th July then last week they sent me an e-mail saying it would be delivered on 28th June. It arrived early am on 28th as they said.

Your right I have been playing on it I absolutely love it! My sons were not interested in it until it arrived and now my youngest can't keep his hands off it. He would never share his laptop with me and that's why I bought this. It was either this or a net book. I'm really glad I. Chose this and I'm glad that he was selfish with his laptop! Hope yours arrives soon.

Most reactions

Latest posts