1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Getting "kicked out" from an App to Homescreen

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by living2345, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. living2345

living2345 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is it normal to every once in a while get kicked out of an app back to home screen suddenly? It seems to happen more often to me when I am on the page that shows all my apps or links that are currently open. Sorry if that doesn't make sense.
  2. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    When that happens it means the app has crashed.
  3. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +460 / 0
    You can do 2 things delete app and down load again which will be free and also do a hard restart hold down home and off button until white apple logo appears.

Some times it is a memory thing or it can be a bug in the App which most likely will be corrected in an upgrade
  4. Purpleorchid

Purpleorchid iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If it happens in one particular app, you can also try killing that apps' process. It is harmless, doesn't delete the app or any saved data.

To "kill the app", do this:
    While the offending app is running, hold down the Sleep button until you get the "Slide to power off" screen.
    Instead of sliding, just press and hold the Home button until that screen gets canceled and you get put back at the Home screen.

Your app that was acting weird should be back to normal. I use this most when my Safari freezes. I've also used this on apps that were "working yesterday, but keep crashing today".

This fixes the apps. I've only had to do a hard reset maybe three times when the whole iPad froze up and I couldn't even get the Home button to respond.
  5. living2345

living2345 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds good, thanks for the responses.
  6. ctuhulu

ctuhulu iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This has been happening to me but in all apps. I get kicked out of all apps. Have done two hard resets and nothing. Need help. Not even the nightstand app will run continuously
  7. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Have you tried rebooting the iPad. Switch it off and then hold down the Power and Home buttons simultaneously until the white Apple logo appears - can take quite a while, say up to 20 seconds. The iPad will then reboot.

Tim
  8. ctuhulu

ctuhulu iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nope tried that several times and did not work. Very frustrating as this the second time i type this as it also kicked me out of this app that i just installed last night and kicks me out while typing. My ipad is now useless at less than a year old. I ought there were other people out ther with same issues.

Any other ideas?
  9. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    You seem to have tried everything so it looks as though there's a hardware fault. Why not return it to the Apple Store and they'll exchange it for a new one.

Tim
  10. vanessatom

vanessatom iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Did u find a solution?

I seem to be having the same issue that started yesterday when I updated an app and it kicked me out so I uninstalled it, rebooted it with no resolution. Any tips?
  11. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,026 / 0
    Did you try the immediate fix as mentioned above by closing out the app? What version are your running and what ipad gen do you have?
  12. Stt4life

Stt4life iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iPad trouble

I have been having the same problem as well & it has made me frustrated and reconsider even buying another Apple product. I spoke to an Apple representative on the phone who told me that it sounds like the screen must have a glitch. One thing that has worked for me is to not use my wifi but use the AT&T service instead it has reduced the amount of logging out the iPad does but this has become more costly. If you have the iPad with 3G service maybe you should try that and see if it helps.
  13. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +460 / 0
    This thread is 8 months old I will leave thread open how ever I suggest you start a new thread regarding the issue as a lot has changed since then.
  14. Selenasinluv

Selenasinluv iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Me too!!! Every app crashes on me!
  15. garyburnett44

garyburnett44 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had the same issue with a brand new ipad3. Took it back to store and they exchanged it for a new one. Out of the box the new has the same issue. It was not caused by any downloaded app because I set the new machine up from scratch. After much research got a workaround by not adding any email accounts or using icloud. The ipad has been OK since I took these steps. I can access email using hotmail on safari. Not ideal but works. Maybe a future OS upgrade may resolve?
    Gary
  16. gamimi

gamimi iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ive had my iPad 3 since May, and I started getting kicked out of Safari about a month ago. Noticing it with other apps since. I joined the forum for ideas so thanks to the pioneers who have been troubleshooting this issue for the past several months. I'll try some of the things I read here before heading back to The Apple store.
  17. Louise3601

Louise3601 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have the same problem and it looks as if it is a common problem. The help sites are full of this. Whatever I'm on goes back to the home screen constantly. This happens with Safari and games like Scrabble and Words with Friends. It doesn't matter whether I have one app running or 10. Someone mentioned that Google Drive was the Culprit. I don't have Google Drive. I wish someone at Apple would address this. Everyone else is grasping at straws. It's obviously an Apple problem and many people are experiencing it. It is not an anomaly. It's an Apple problem that can only be fixed by Apple. Where are they?
  18. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,026 / 0
    Louise--this thread is quite old and the issues back then may not the same as it is currently.

Please refer back to the post you made back in October to further speak of your problem. You have already received help there, though you haven't gone back to respond.

This thread will now be closed.

Thanks for your understanding.

Ski ~ iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.