What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting iCloud done Right...

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all, I am going through the latest iPad user guide in detail- even writing things important to how I want my iPad configured in a notebook. That's just so you know I'm not looking for someone to do my work for me!

OK, here I am: Settings-> iCloud. On the right side, it says "[email protected]" What do I do? Do I use my Apple ID here, or create something new, to use when logging into iCloud only?

Right under that, it says "Required" I don't know what is required here, can someone please tell me what it is? Thanks!

The next field to fill in is "Sign In," under which you'll see "forgot Apple ID *or* password? This suggests but doesn't certify that your Apple ID or password is to be used in one or both of the two fields above. What do they want me to sign in with, exactly??

Under these things, it says "Create a new Apple ID?

Now it gets interesting, because my Apple ID is my (old) email address. I say "old" because I lost the password for my 'old' email address, I did all I could to find it; couldn't, therefore I gave up and just created a new Gmail account. This makes, going back to "[email protected] more interesting! If I use the address whose password I lost and cannot log in to, what if Apple requires me to log in to it? I don't know if Apple would want me to do that. OTOH, Apple certainly won't recognize my new Gmail account address.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's SPROINGY again; I tried to edit my OP, but it would not post. To continue, I can't log into my original email account that is my current Apple ID, and my current Gmail account won't be recognized.

Although I'm using the iPad User Guide, I haven't seen answers to the questions posted in the OP.

And I really want to get iCloud set up because then I believe all my iPad content will be backed up.

Thanks to all for your patience in reading this!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The part at the top is for users who have an Apple ID or iCloud ID and just need to sign in.
The first line is for the email address, the second one ("Required") is for the password.

If you intend to use your old Apple ID as your iCloud ID as well, you can use "Forgot Apple ID or Password?" below Sign In to reset the password of your Apple ID. That way you can set up iCloud with the current Apple ID with a new password.

If you intend to use the Gmail address as Apple ID and/or iCloud ID, reset the password of the current ID, then login here:
Apple - Apple ID (Manage my Apple ID)
You'll be able to edit the email address and enter the Gmail address.
If you need assistance, we can help.

If you don't want to use the old Apple ID, and you need a new ID, use the feature at the bottom:
Create an new Apple ID. This will guide you through the process of setting up an ID.

Hope that helps.

Most reactions