What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting error message with gmail

anken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm glad to have found it.
I have the original iPad 1 and it still works well for me. The issue I'm having is with my gmail account. I have deleted and set it up going by extensive instructions I found online but still have the same problem.
There is a yahoo mail and a gmail account on my iPad. Yahoo works fine. With Gmail, everything is working but I keep getting the message:"Cannot get mail.Incoming server not responding. Verify settings."
I have the incoming at: imap.gmail.com and outgoing at:smtp.gmail.com

I have deleted and setup Gmail a number of times with the same problem as a result.
Also, the WiFi Icon on the top left corner of the screen shows "no connection" I can get online without any problem and email is working fine except the error message with Gmail. Could the "no connection" be the problem with Gmail? I don't know how to fix the "no connection" message.
We have a wireless router for our home network. Computers on network are working well.
If anybody has any suggestions I will appreciate it very much. ann

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Ann,

I looked through the settings on my iPad and iPhone. I don't see a place to put the incoming mail server information. My outgoing is set to smtp.gmail.com.
When you set up gmail did you choose gmail from the add account in the mail setup utility? Some of the instructions on the web say to use exchange. I found that was not needed. I set mine up using the gmail option.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I'm glad to have found it.
I have the original iPad 1 and it still works well for me. The issue I'm having is with my gmail account. I have deleted and set it up going by extensive instructions I found online but still have the same problem.
There is a yahoo mail and a gmail account on my iPad. Yahoo works fine. With Gmail, everything is working but I keep getting the message:"Cannot get mail.Incoming server not responding. Verify settings."
I have the incoming at: imap.gmail.com and outgoing at:smtp.gmail.com

I have deleted and setup Gmail a number of times with the same problem as a result.
Also, the WiFi Icon on the top left corner of the screen shows "no connection" I can get online without any problem and email is working fine except the error message with Gmail. Could the "no connection" be the problem with Gmail? I don't know how to fix the "no connection" message.
We have a wireless router for our home network. Computers on network are working well.
If anybody has any suggestions I will appreciate it very much. ann

Hi, Ann! Welcome to iPF!

You're the second member within short time posting to have problems with Gmail. It seems to be a issue with the account, not with the app or the iPad.
Perhaps it would be better to report your problems to Google to get it solved.

OP
A

anken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you both for writing. I'm so glad to have this forum to come to...
In the meantime I have figured out the problem message "no connection" in the upper left corner of the screen. In Settings,the WiFi section where it asks "to join other networks" slider was on. The message was gone as soon as I turned it off.
When setting up Gmail, I have tried both choosing Gmail and "Other" on the bottom but came up with the same results. Our internet provider is Verizon/Fios. So, for the incoming server I tried imap.gmail.com and verizon.net. I have also tried to set it up as POP3 , but each time I get the same error message about incoming server not responding.
Yes, contacting Google is the best way to hope to get it solved. Thanks again for taking the time to write.

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Happy to be of service. I hope you come back often to browse around. There is a wealth of knowledge in these forums gathered into one place, and lots of friendly, helpful people.

Most reactions

Latest posts