What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting around the 20mb DL limit.

Mazinga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got a great game in progress, first level is done and right now I'm looking at about 10 mb. Problem is, I have 11 more levels planned out and from what I understand, Apple will only allow up to 20mb DL via 3G. WTH?
Should I just try and pitch wifi only downloads or is there a workaround for this lousy rule?

theonegod

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dont quite follow. Is this a game you are designing? Playing? Are you concerned about people who buy your game being able to install it over 3g?

OP
Mazinga

Mazinga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry...I'm in my own little world today. Yes, designing a game and have finished the first level with the .ipa coming in at a bit over 10mb. At this rate, I will have at least a 60-70mb app when I'm done, and apple's rule is, nothing over 20mb can be downloaded via 3G. So it's not an issue if downloading with wifi. Do you think I should break the game into parts? OR, just not worry about it...

theonegod

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would not worry about it. But there is no way around it outside of using a jailbreak app on the target device to trick the ipad into thinking it is on wifi. There are quite a few apps that fall into the to large to download over 3g catagory. And it doesn't hurt them. Infinity blade being a good example. But most games being that large to be honest.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
Sorry...I'm in my own little world today. Yes, designing a game and have finished the first level with the .ipa coming in at a bit over 10mb. At this rate, I will have at least a 60-70mb app when I'm done, and apple's rule is, nothing over 20mb can be downloaded via 3G. So it's not an issue if downloading with wifi. Do you think I should break the game into parts? OR, just not worry about it...

Indeed. Don't worry about it and don't break it into parts. There are 3 ways to download content. 3G, Wi-Fi, and through iTunes. Most 3G users understand the 20mb restriction and work around it.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But it is intensely frustrating when you're away from home with no WiFi but a great 3G signal....

Tim

OP
Mazinga

Mazinga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm going to assume most people know how to work around the 3G issue and not break up the game. At least, that's my thought for the moment. That said, Apple really should have been a little more proactive about supporting developers with large games. Infinity Blade is awesome BTW, they did an incredible job.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
Thanks guys. I'm going to assume most people know how to work around the 3G issue and not break up the game. At least, that's my thought for the moment. That said, Apple really should have been a little more proactive about supporting developers with large games. Infinity Blade is awesome BTW, they did an incredible job.

Agreed! I love Infinity Blade, as well.

Most reactions

Latest posts