Getting an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by mikedoc90, Sep 26, 2010.

1. mikedoc90

mikedoc90 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm currently in the process of evaluating which iPad would be best for me. I'm not sure which to get. I will be using my iPad for the internet all of the time and plan to use it more than my laptop, if that's possible. haha.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike :ipad-keyboard:
  2. MattIM

MattIM Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    Welcome to the forum!

Everyone who contemplates getting an iPad for a specific reason will eventually find other uses for the iPad. For example you stated you plan to access the internet in lieu of using your laptop. The iPad is a great device to do exactly that but you also have to figure out how you will access the Internet. You have a choice via wifi or get a data subscription for cellular broadband access.

The reason why I bought the iPad was three-fold: 1. read ebooks, 2. Download choral music so that I could use the iPad to study music, 3. Display photos. I deduced that I needed an iPad with a lot of storage space. You have three choices: 16, 32, 64 gigabytes. I chose 64.

When I got to the store, I realized the potential of 3G version: which provided GPS. Now I had a fourth reason and a second decision point: eliminate the garman gps device and get a 3G iPad.

You see how it goes? I now have an app for reading PDF files, for calculating horse races, several games, a lot of newspaper apps, etc. My iPad purchase had a specific set of requirements but the more I use it, the iPad has grown into one amazingly capable and capacious device to entertain and educate me.

If you can afford it get the 64 gig, 3G iPad. I have no worries of filling it up and I can access the web anywhere. Take yourself to task and really consider what you will do with your iPad.

By the way, iPads do not have flash capability.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  3. DewWorm

DewWorm iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I purchased my iPad on Sep 6, 2010, and could only be happier if it did allow the use of Flash for animations on websites - but there is another topic area for that discussion. Yes, I knew beforehand that Flash is not currently allowed, but You Tube videos do play just fine.

Now to get back to your question - after several days of intensive analysis, I decided to get the 64 GB with the 3G capability (they all have wi-fi), because I remember times when I was traveling (within the U.S.) and needed to access the internet in spots where I had no wi-fi access. At the time, my smartphone was not capable of being a wi-fi hotspot, so I was totally left out of accessing what I needed in the location I found myself.

The first two weeks I had my wonderful iPad, I did not set up my 3G account, but this past weekend I did because I knew I was going to be traveling in spots with no wi-fi access (wide-open countryside). I found it to be absolutely worth the extra $s to have the 3G capability, and it works wonderfully well. I did, however, first check the coverage area for the area I would be traveling. You are not limited to AT&T for the 3G service either.

The good thing about the AT&T 3G service for the iPad is that it is not a long-term commitment - if you find that you are accessing sites that create a lot of heavy data usage, 2 GB can be used up pretty quickly and then the cost can become prohibitive, but not to worry - you can opt out of automatic renewal each month or when you have reached the bottom of the data pot. The best thing to do is to check other carriers' plans first, but I wanted to try the AT&T 3G service to see how much data I was actually using (a ton on some apps). I am probably going to activate the Sprint Wi-fi Hot Spot option on my smartphone and pay a tiny bit more for scads more data usage.

Another point to consider is that if your smartphone is with another carrier, adding the AT&T 3G service for iPad can increase the likelihood of actually being able to get 3G service without roaming charges (depending on where you are at the time).

There is no getting around doing your homework before jumping into the wonderful world of iPad so that you can use your technology dollars wisely.

I am happy I chose the 64 GB, wi-fi + 3G model iPad, and I would do it all over again if I had to.

Bottom line: Whichever model you choose, enjoy it to its fullest capabilities - just learn as much as you can beforehand without getting mired in indecisiveness.
  4. KILLERkpd

KILLERkpd iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I got the 64gig with WiFi and 3G because I am travelling alot and spend plenty of time in airports, while my phone does do the Mobile HotSpot thing, and I even have a VZW wifi dongle that I can plug into my laptop. The bottom line, the iPad is so much more convenient, I do not have to tether anything and plug in my phone, if I use the Mobile hotspot, I can watch my phone battery drain. The wifi dongle is great, but I do not want to have to fire up the laptop, open the VZ access manager, then dial in to get it working. The iPad allows me to simply do everything I need to without the hassle.

Yes I do have to pay to use the 3G but IMO it is worth it---of course it also helps that I my company pays for everything pretty much, phone, wifi dongle, 3G on the ipad.....

But, you need to figure out if the 3G is going to be worth the extra money you would have to pay. As far as memory, I got the 64gig so I do not have to be transferring files and dlelting old files too often. I have a ton of music, about 13 movies, tons of apps, and I still have over 50 gigs left to use.