What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get search instead of go when entering an address into safari

MidlandMike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I've Googled and searched around this site and others and come up empty, so sorry if it's been covered thousands of times before but I'm stumped. Also apologies if this is the wrong place to ask.

I've got a friend who needs to access a page mail.someserver.com but whenever he inputs this he only gets the option to search and Google doesn't bring up the site. He gets a similar result if he uses just the IP address to try and get there.
Is there a way to force Safari to try and connect without performing a search? Or am I just being thick?

Thanks.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I've Googled and searched around this site and others and come up empty, so sorry if it's been covered thousands of times before but I'm stumped. Also apologies if this is the wrong place to ask.

I've got a friend who needs to access a page mail.someserver.com but whenever he inputs this he only gets the option to search and Google doesn't bring up the site. He gets a similar result if he uses just the IP address to try and get there.
Is there a way to force Safari to try and connect without performing a search? Or am I just being thick?

Thanks.

Hi, welcome to iPF!

Where did he enter the information? He should write it here:

image-1652546233.jpg

And then tap "Go".
I've tried that with Google Mail:

image-2979845369.jpg

image-1028071261.jpg

It also works with Yahoo and Hotmail/Outlook

Last edited:
OP
M

MidlandMike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks.

He is entering the address in the address bar but doesn't get the go button, it's replaced with a search one (it's context sensitive right?)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did he clear history, cookies and data in Settings - Safari?

Also, try these things:
Restart the iPad (turn off, wait for a few minutes, turn on again).
Reset it (press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears).
Clear the multitask bar.

Next possibility I could think of would be to go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset all Settings.

It's the first time I hear of a problem like the one you described.

You could also send your comment to Apple: http://www.apple.com/feedback/safari.html

Most reactions

Latest posts