What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

get refurb ipad 2 or waite for ipad 5

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just sold my transformer 300. android os was not great,
after seeing the specs of the ipad 5 i want one but i cant waite till the fall.
i can get a refurbed ipad 2 for a good price from the apple store.
all i need it for is surfing the web and emails a few apps. and i could sell it when the ipad 5 comes out. or i could.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I love my iPad 2 and its a great tablet. If you are content with getting one for now understanding that fairly soon you'll be selling it and buying a new model then I have no problem with it. Waiting is NO fun :D

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I was without an iPad of any description right now, I'd be tempted to go straight for a 4. But if you just want something to tide you over until the 5 comes out, why not go with a mini? That way, you have something more up to date, and you won't have two different dock connectors.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No one outside of Cupertino knows what the specs on the iPad 5 are going to be.

Don't pay attention to the rumor mill, well, unless you enjoy that kind of entertainment. Just keep in mind that Apple doesn't release tech specs unofficially, and most blogs reporting future device specs right now are either airing their wish list, or playing the link-bait game.

OP
T

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
i checked out the mini i have big hands and i think the key borad is smaller then the ipad 2.
it feels like its to light when i hold it. maybe its just me but its to small.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ipad 2 has old low resolution display. It should be at least Ipad 3

Still looks good though. And, for a product that's being purchased just to hold you over, why pay the much higher price of the iPad 3? The iPad 2 refurb is a good choice for this particular user, IMO.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still looks good though. And, for a product that's being purchased just to hold you over, why pay the much higher price of the iPad 3? The iPad 2 refurb is a good choice for this particular user, IMO.

Because iPad 2 is on its way out. Look at RAM and other guts; its aging guts probably will not be enough for the next version of firmware. It's already been skipped over for Siri, for instance. That will continue -- more limits on functionality as apps, firmware, etc., increase their demands.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No one outside of Cupertino knows what the specs on the iPad 5 are going to be.

Don't pay attention to the rumor mill, well, unless you enjoy that kind of entertainment. Just keep in mind that Apple doesn't release tech specs unofficially, and most blogs reporting future device specs right now are either airing their wish list, or playing the link-bait game.

And after the "5" drops, we will read about 5.1 or 6. I say go for the gusto and buy an iPad now. One can always play the waiting and guessing game and all that gets you is no iPad while waiting for the next one.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Because iPad 2 is on its way out. Look at RAM and other guts; its aging guts probably will not be enough for the next version of firmware. It's already been skipped over for Siri, for instance. That will continue -- more limits on functionality as apps, firmware, etc., increase their demands.

Yeah, I keep hearing that but the thing keeps chugging along. I just haven't run into that monster app that challenges the hardware of the iPad 2 yet. Perhaps buying a refurbished iPad 2 isn't the best idea but its certainly the cheapest. And, for what the OP wants I still think its a legit choice. Of course, waiting for the next gen unit is the optimum choice. But, we all get impatient with gadgets, don't we? :)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I keep hearing that but the thing keeps chugging along. I just haven't run into that monster app that challenges the hardware of the iPad 2 yet. Perhaps buying a refurbished iPad 2 isn't the best idea but its certainly the cheapest. And, for what the OP wants I still think its a legit choice. Of course, waiting for the next gen unit is the optimum choice. But, we all get impatient with gadgets, don't we? :)

I still use my iPad 2, along with iPad 4. There's no reason to dump any device that still meets your needs (or in my case, most of my needs). I just wouldn't lay out good money for an iPad 2 now if I were buying from scratch.

Each person's budget and choices are his own, of course. But buying the cheapest item might not actually be a good value in many cases. If for instance, OP had just bought an iPad to start with, rather than a device he ended up not liking and selling, he would've gotten better value from an iPad, it sounds like.

Last edited:

Most reactions