What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gesture issues

M

moparherb

for about a month or so now my iPad Air is doing something very annoying. When I go to use the four finger gesture to close to the home screen it doesn't work. Now if I rotate the iPad from horizontal by 180 degrees and back again the gesture function works until the next time I shut it down using the cover to close. It's a major pain, if I reboot it ( hold down power and home) it works until the next time I shut it off. I look kind of funny rotating the iPad a 180 degrees and then using the gestures to close to home screen. Any advise or help appreciated. Almost forgot, I'm using version 8.1.2.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm experiencing this as well, not as often as you. What I do when I can't pinch to close, is perform a four/five finger swipe to show the multitask bar and force close an app. Usuall this helps, and the feature is working again without problems. It's just a workaround, but maybe better than changing the orientation of the iPad.

Last edited:
OP
M

moparherb

J.A. Thanks for your response but when this occurs none of the gestures work, no swiping, no pinching, no nothing. Everything else seems to work just no gestures.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is what I forgot to add:
Before swiping to show the multitask bar, I have to close the app with the Home button. I'm able to swipe after I have done that.

Last edited:
OP
M

moparherb

J.A. Thank you for your help. At least I know it isn't just me. Maybe on the next IOS update this will be fixed. I would also like to see the bookmark bar go away (like it used to) after you pick a favorite.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
J.A. Thank you for your help. At least I know it isn't just me. Maybe on the next IOS update this will be fixed. I would also like to see the bookmark bar go away (like it used to) after you pick a favorite.

I'm of two minds on this one. Sometimes that's what I want. Other times, like working through a reading list or checking out old bookmark folders, I like it to stay.

And since my most commonly used bookmarks are all in my favorites and accessible via the + icon or the favorites bar, I rarely use the actual bookmark icon unless I'm doing one of those things.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also think if you go into setting and select mutlitasking gestures off and then back on it will work. For awhile anyway. My Air does it as well. It's an IOS 8 related hiccup. Hope it's fixed with. 8.2.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I also think if you go into setting and select mutlitasking gestures off and then back on it will work. For awhile anyway. My Air does it as well. It's an IOS 8 related hiccup. Hope it's fixed with. 8.2.

Agreed. Every once in a while my gestures lose their mind and I have to turn them off and then on to restore their functionality. Hoping an iOS update takes care of it.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've also experienced the issue with the multigestures not working all the time.

What works for me (every time, so far ... and knock on wood) is for me to pull down the Notification Center. Then, the multigestures work as normal.

Just quicker than going to Settings to turn them off and on, for me...

Marilyn

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully the iOS 8.1.3 update will fix this bug. It's due any time now.

Most reactions