What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Business iPad Questions

MED Mobility

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my mini2 to an iPad 2(when available). I would like to be able to search inventory using Quickbooks online, create a repair bill on the iPad, take payment through Square then print a physical receipt for the customer. Can the iPad pro do this now or will the Pro 2 be able to do this?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
All the current iPad's work with Square. I don't know enough about Quickbooks online to say one way or another. I'd check with Quickbooks support to see if it is compatible with the iOS version of Safari. That would be the key question.

I'm not sure what you mean by creating a repair bill. If it's just a form, sure. There are several apps that can fill out PDF and/or Word forms. Even a few that can create them. If it's something you do through Quickbooks, then the previous answer applies.

OP
MED Mobility

MED Mobility

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The online version of Quickbooks is in the cloud. I should be able to access it from any device.
I'm an independent repair technician for mobility devices such as wheelchairs, scooters, etc. I want to be able to go to a customer's house, fix their unit and give them a paper receipt. Can the iPad pro do this?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No iPad will actually produce a physical receipt. You would need a printer. Just supposing your customer had a printer and allowed you access to their internet you could use AirPrint to print a receipt.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No iPad will actually produce a physical receipt. You would need a printer. Just supposing your customer had a printer and allowed you access to their internet you could use AirPrint to print a receipt.

Various payment services, such as Square, allow you to send an email receipt to the customer.

As already stated, the iPad Pro (depending on which apps are used) will produce an 'electronic' receipt which likely can be sent as an email to the customer (just did that the other day w/ my plumbing service); but to second the above, a printer would be needed for a paper printout of the receipt; and you cannot rely on the customer having a printer or one that will work w/ AirPrint - one option would be for you to carry a portable printer 'on the road' - there are of course a number of choices, but this Canon Model received a decent review that I read recently in MacWorld (check the link - pic below from Amazon). Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 11.14.17 AM.png

OP
MED Mobility

MED Mobility

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your feedback. I must back up a bit. My business is done more from my repair van than at the shop. At the moment my customers are primarily elderly and old school when it comes to receipts. Right now I'm hand writing repair orders, then entering them into Quickbooks when I get to the office.Very redundant. I want to be able to use my iPad to create a work order, accept payment, then print a receipt. I already have a portable printer, but it uses USB connection. I'm willing to upgrade the printer so it works with the iPad. I'm not always going to have wi-fi available unless I create a hotspot. Is the iPad pro going to work this way?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
According to a post on the Apple forum this might be possible. I quote "Simply turn on the hotspot. Use the wireless wizard on the printer control panel to find the network and enter the password as shown on the phone.".
I am sure Dave will know more about this. :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
.......I want to be able to use my iPad to create a work order, accept payment, then print a receipt. I already have a portable printer, but it uses USB connection. I'm willing to upgrade the printer so it works with the iPad. I'm not always going to have wi-fi available unless I create a hotspot. Is the iPad pro going to work this way?

According to a post on the Apple forum this might be possible. I quote "Simply turn on the hotspot. Use the wireless wizard on the printer control panel to find the network and enter the password as shown on the phone.".
I am sure Dave will know more about this. :)

Not sure how much I can add to Jupiter's comments? But AirPrint does require a Wi-Fi network - as suggested, setting up a Wi-Fi Hotspot might be a solution, assuming the printer as described above can connect. The 'Hotspot' could be established w/ your phone (if available), a cellular iPad Pro, a Mi-Fi device, or possibly another wireless device, e.g. I own the RAVPower FileHub which establishes a 'personal Wi-Fi network' - my iPad can connect; NOW, whether an AirPrint printer will also, I don't know? Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 2.05.44 PM.png

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Most iPads depending on the type you have are either wifi only or wifi and cellular. I don't really know anything about quick books or air print.

Most reactions