What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gary

zeiherg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife owns a 1st gen iPad and we are experiencing some problems we cannot figure out. I am hoping I may find a solution to the problem by enrolling in the iPad forum. In the event someone may be able to point me in the right direction the problem is as follows: When entering text in the URL letters are sometimes dropped (don't show up when typed) and the result is the web link is dropped and we are placed back on the main apps screen or desktop if you will. I have tried using both the 2.4 and 5g options for my wireless router (a Netgear N600 Dual Band Wireless Router, model WNDR3400v2) and each seem to function well. I mention this because I initially sought some help on the internet and one of the links I accessed had changing from 2.4g to 5g which might help but they both seem to function equally well with a strong signal and no obvious problems. The OS is current (5.1.1) and that was one thing someone mentioned could be a root cause. The last option I read was to go into Safari and delete the history and cookies but it did not seem to help. If it did I can't tell. Why the iPad drops the internet link when trying to input a URL address is beyond my comprehension level. We bought this iPad when they first came out and ours is the WiFi 16g model, the base model. Once my wife (who is the primary user) told me she was getting knocked off the internet I tried inputting a URL address myself just to see what would happen. Part way through my entry the iPad suddenly dropped me back to the main screen. I attempted to input my URL address several times before I finally got in. Once there I started surfing through some of the links and, Wham, back to the main screen again. After this happened at least 3 times in a row I gave it up and started looking for some answers....so here I am.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Gary - welcome to the forum! :)

I'll just start w/ the usual options (which you may have already done? If so, then please forgive) - but, 'Force Close' Safari if not already done (of course, you could try another browser - I have several others on my iPad 2); then again if not done, follow the subsequent steps in the quote below; also, if you have not 'power recycled' your modem/router, then another suggestion, i.e. pull the power, wait a little, and start up the modem first & then the router - please post back if any of these steps are helpful - good luck! Dave

When an app (or several) are misbehaving, I usually go through the following steps:

1. Force Close - open the multi-tasking bar (double tap the 'home buttom' or use multi-gesturing and swipe up); press & hold an app until all begin to 'jiggle'; find the offending app(s) and press the 'red circle w/ minus sign' - return to the home screen & try again.

2. Restart - press & hold the 'Sleep/Awake' (a.k.a. power) button until a red slider appears (may take a few seconds) - move the slider to turn off the iPad; then press & hold the same button until the Apple logo appears - wait for a restart.

3. Reset - press & hold the 'Power' and 'Home' buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears - this may take a longer time, so have patience; the iPad will 're-boot' - NOTE that none of these maneuvers will alter your apps, files, or settings.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Giradman has some very good advice for you and these steps should make a difference. This is a lack of ram issue at work here, the iPad 1 has only 256mb of ram whereas the newer iPads have up to 1 Gb of ram. As technology advances, apps are only getting bigger and they then need more ram to run smoothly. Different websites vary in how much ram they use depending on graphics being displayed. I'm afraid that the iPad 1 will now be struggling, but with a little routine maintenance you can keep it running at its best. Closing your apps completely as outlined by Giradman is a very good place to begin. When you want to use Safari, just close your other apps first, also clear out your Cookies and History in Safari regularly and limit Location Settings to the apps you are using now. A restart occasionally and a reset are also good steps to take. These steps will all clear out some ram and help with crashing issues.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Tutorial for our App
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...sistance/107524-ipad-forums-app-tutorial.html
Tutorial on creating posts on the Forum
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...-creating-posts-starting-new-threads-how.html
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help...shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
Z

zeiherg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Giradman: Thanks for your reply. Before I go too deep here I didn't mention that my wireless router has been reset a dozen or more times as you suggested. I also use my Toshiba laptop on the same router and nary a problem. This is why I'm at a loss. I am not a computer whiz but I am somewhat good to go with the basics so I can usually hold my own but this iPad thing has me completely stumped. I don't know that I am sure what you mean when you say "force close" Safari. Before I try anything I want to be certain I know exactly what I'm doing. Call me cautious but I have went off half cocked a few times and damn near couldn't recover from my doing something I THOUGHT I knew how to do. You also mentioned that you use several other browsers on your iPad 2. Since I'm not all that familiar with the Apple OS I don't even know what browsers would even work with the old 1st gen iPad. Anyway, I'm going to do a little more searching and digging but what you have provide is a great help. Again, thanks.

OP
Z

zeiherg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Leelai, Thanks for your response. I hate to admit I never even thought about the lack of RAM memory. It never even crossed my mind. Make all the sense in the world though. Once the RAM is used up and can't process anything more then of course the logical step would be to simply close whatever is in use. Since adding RAM to the 1st gen iPad even if possible would not doubt not be cost effective. I've been trying to convince my wife we need to upgrade and now would be the right time.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Leelai, Thanks for your response. I hate to admit I never even thought about the lack of RAM memory. It never even crossed my mind. Make all the sense in the world though. Once the RAM is used up and can't process anything more then of course the logical step would be to simply close whatever is in use. Since adding RAM to the 1st gen iPad even if possible would not doubt not be cost effective. I've been trying to convince my wife we need to upgrade and now would be the right time.

You're welcome! Ram cannot be added to an iPad and you are correct, it is time for you to upgrade. The iPad 1 will still have it's uses though, lots of apps will still work on it, and email, photos, music etc.

The next iPad may be out in the new few months, I say may, as no one really knows, but I'm waiting for it also. So if you can wait it would be an ideal, although the ipad4 is just brilliant! The choice is yours! Enjoy!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Giradman: Thanks for your reply. Before I go too deep here I didn't mention that my wireless router has been reset a dozen or more times as you suggested. I also use my Toshiba laptop on the same router and nary a problem. This is why I'm at a loss. I am not a computer whiz but I am somewhat good to go with the basics so I can usually hold my own but this iPad thing has me completely stumped. I don't know that I am sure what you mean when you say "force close" Safari. Before I try anything I want to be certain I know exactly what I'm doing. Call me cautious but I have went off half cocked a few times and damn near couldn't recover from my doing something I THOUGHT I knew how to do. You also mentioned that you use several other browsers on your iPad 2. Since I'm not all that familiar with the Apple OS I don't even know what browsers would even work with the old 1st gen iPad. Anyway, I'm going to do a little more searching and digging but what you have provide is a great help. Again, thanks.

Hi again Gary - 'Force Close' is explained in the quote in my post - just a way of shutting down a program on the iPad - doubt that it will help but easy to do and will do no harm to your device. Concerning web browsers, many are available beyond Safari - I have Atomic Web & Maxthon on my iPad, but others, such as Chrome can also be used - not sure that this will resolve your problems but may be worth a try? NOW, as Leelai has implied, the first iPad is quite 'dated' - maybe an upgrade would be your best option? Dave :)

Most reactions