What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garageband - Alternate tunings for Smart Guitar?

bigdaddysg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all - I am thinking about picking up the Garageband app for the iPad. I am a guitarist, and will primarily plug in my own guitar, but I would also like to use the Smart Guitar on occasion.

Does anyone know if the Smart Guitar has an option to change the string tunings from the standard tuning (EADGBE) to open tunings, Drop-D, etc.?

Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not exactly. But if you take the guitar into note mode you can get a scale limited fret board instead of the standard tuning. It looks bit different than the normal guitar fret board.

In Chord mode you can set the key to change the selection of chords.

Here are some pictures that might be worth some words, though probably not the full three thousand they should be.

Setting the Scale

Set_Scale.jpg

Note play mode with a scale set.

Scale_Fret.jpg

Setting the key in chord mode.

Set_Key.jpg

OP
B

bigdaddysg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet - I am hoping that this functionality might become available in future updates. It would be nice to get into some Open tunings and really explore some wild sounds. Until then, looks like I'll just have to play them the old-fashioned way - on an actual guitar.

Most reactions

Latest posts