What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Games popups

janeiowa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IOS 7 on an IPAD 4

I downloaded a couple free games from the App Center, and now I get the most annoying popups for what I assume are other games as I read in other discussion areas around the internet.

One is the following, in a white box:

About://(null)
Download Jelly Splash

How do I stop these annoying popups?

I did a forum search, but I found nothing.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Usually resetting your device should help:
Press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears, then release both.

Other steps you could take:
Restart your iPad: turn it off, wait for a few minutes, then turn it on again.
Force close apps: Double tap Home button/four or five finger swipe upwards to reveal multitask bar, then slide thumbnails above app icons towards the top of the screen.
Turn off the router and on again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Take a look in Settings > Notifications, find the new apps you've installed, select, and turn off any notifications you don't want. From your description it is the Alert may be the culprit.

OP
J

janeiowa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you both. I don't generally allow push notifications, but I'll double check that.

The reset suggested first seems to be working.

Edit: the popup has just happened again at one site I go to, a knitting forum site. I need to watch and see if that's the only place this is happening.

jane

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If it is specific to certain sites, it's probably not Notifications.

An unhappy-making thing has happened recently in the internet advertising world. New tools have appeared that again allow sites to server popup adds, bypassing the Popup Blocking that you can enable in most browsers.

Combine that with the ability to detect that you are using an iPad or other iOS device and I suppose it is not surprising that some sites will start advertising iOS apps when visited by iOS devices.

Last edited:
OP
J

janeiowa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ahhhh...I think you may have hit the issue. I note that the knit forum is full of ads. They occur between postings, etc., so I'll be extra vigilant, but I think they may be using the ad generator you mention.

Thanks for this insight into a new-to-me problem/annoyance.

Most reactions