What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game development help

Gamer101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its great to be at ipad forums!

Whats the highest polygon count / trices per frame an ipad / ipad 2 can handle?

Please help!

Last edited:

bigchicken

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First watch this video for a reality check:

YouTube - So You Want to Work in the Video Game Industry

If you want to develop games you have a number of options. If you know Maya or Max or if you really want to do 3D games then your best bet is to go and download Unity and bury yourself in it. They have a great support forum and the most mature and accessable tools.

Personally, I think 3D games are bloated, too hard to build and require a solid team to develop anything competitive. If you're a small developer targeting iOS use something like Corona and iterate on as many ideas as you can. Keep it simple. Make it fun and accessable. Fail fast and fail often. Use "Tiny Wings" as your benchmark for success. That game took six months to build by ONE GUY and knocked Angry Birds off the top of the list in less than a week.

Read this post for your other development options.

mike
:8^]

bartekhugo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mike from 71squared (google it) has made some great tutorials for beginner game developers. (tiny wings uses his code)

rwenderlich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wrote a tutorial you might like as well, search for this in google: "how to make a simple iphone app tutorial"

OP
G

Gamer101

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kindly help me gentlemen.

I am developing a game & need info on:

I am really stuck at a point.

Please help! :O

azza_bfs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am developing a game & need info on:

Simply put.. the answer to your question is hard to answer... It depends on a number of factors that are running in the game.
- the game engine
- models, poly count is an issue,
- textures, how big and how may textures do you have,
- alpha, how much alpha blending is being computed on the screen,
- animation,
- ai,
- shadow, etc....
- how much crap is going on in the screen at the same time.

the list goes on, and this coming from an artist point of view, programmers will add their crap to the list also.

Like massimo mentioned,
look at App Store lite versions!

download lots of free 3d games and study them for what is going on, then you will have a better idea of the types of things the iPad/iPad2 is capable of...

I could go on, but the short answer to the question is, there is no answer, there is just you looking at as much content as possible and making up your decision as to how to proceed with your game..

Most reactions

Latest posts