What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

galaxy tab 10.1

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, so today the galaxy tab 10.1 came out everywhere today in the US and I went down to best buy and picked one up it literally arrived as same as I did they where still trying to put up a display. But I got it as soon as it came off the truck around 1:45 pm est and I got mine. So what I want to do is compare the ipad 1 & 2 with this tab is give my unbiased opinion on how they stack against each other. I love both Android and Apple.

A Couple quick things that I can point out, iOS wins in app size and games, all the productivity and lifstyle apps are pretty even, But finding tablet specific apps are a little bit of a pain and scarce in the Android maket. I'm confident that Android will catch up.

The 10.1 is just as well built as the ipad two, but i still find the ipad one more comfortabe in the hand. Most people of course love the slim factor the iPad 2 is wins in sexyness lol, but the 10.1 is lighter and thinner.

OK so the cameras on both the I pad 2 and 10.1 are pretty much crap on both ipad barley wins in pictures, video and also in video chat. Speaking witch I used Gtalk to video chat with my cousin on his Nexus S and while face time is a slight winner in video quality they were both as pleasant and I was on there for about an hour and ituh held up on par with face time of course this was done over wifi.

I'll be posting up pictures of all three and more observations but if you like to know anything let me know.

I'm going o leave it off with on last thing witch is about the keyboard. The ipad def has a better keyboard even after I shut off the samsung keybard there i a slight lag not all the time but enough to notice. But does not effect my typing speed or performance if you dont look. Im writing this all up on it now. Honeycomb has a bit more shortcuts ans emojis but we all know what iOS 5 is gonna catch up there.

JSHidaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, in you opinion which one is better or not "better"... Do you recommend iPad 2 or Galaxy 10.1?

Im Planing to get one, will be my first one, but still not sure about iPad or The Galaxy... I do have an iPhone 4, so I know about iOS, I had a Motorola Quench, but had android 1.5... was a pain.. so bad reference.

I dont really care about that iPad dont support Flash, I dont have any problem on my iphone visiting pages w/ it.

Things that iPad have that I likeL
1. Japanese Keyboard(Romaji) I Need it, so I can reply some business mails.
2. I already know iOS.

Things I like from the Galaxy
1. Screen Resolution
2. Customization
3. Probably can just drop video files and play it. (not sure..)

Things I dont like from iPad.
1.Lack of customization w/o Jailbreak
2. 1024 x 768.. hmmm is that enough?
3. iTunes.. iTunes...

From Galaxy
1. Rumors about keyboard lag.
2. Battery duration is 20% less than iPad
3. Dont have Native Jap. Input. but have some interesting App for it.
4. OS can make it to be outdated anytime... like Galaxy 7" last OS is 2.2/2.3... in less than 1 year

Well.. Dont know... any suggestion

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was trying to hold out for the 10.1 Samsung tab, but after the delay my husband went ahead and bought me the iPad 2. Please post up some comparison pictures of these 2 tabs when you get a chance. Thanks.

OP
I

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, in you opinion which one is better or not "better"... Do you recommend iPad 2 or Galaxy 10.1?

Im Planing to get one, will be my first one, but still not sure about iPad or The Galaxy... I do have an iPhone 4, so I know about iOS, I had a Motorola Quench, but had android 1.5... was a pain.. so bad reference.

I dont really care about that iPad dont support Flash, I dont have any problem on my iphone visiting pages w/ it.

Things that iPad have that I likeL
1. Japanese Keyboard(Romaji) I Need it, so I can reply some business mails.
2. I already know iOS.

Things I like from the Galaxy
1. Screen Resolution
2. Customization
3. Probably can just drop video files and play it. (not sure..)

Things I dont like from iPad.
1.Lack of customization w/o Jailbreak
2. 1024 x 768.. hmmm is that enough?
3. iTunes.. iTunes...

From Galaxy
1. Rumors about keyboard lag.
2. Battery duration is 20% less than iPad
3. Dont have Native Jap. Input. but have some interesting App for it.
4. OS can make it to be outdated anytime... like Galaxy 7" last OS is 2.2/2.3... in less than 1 year

Well.. Dont know... any suggestion

The battery, while I have not done a test comparing both, but I would have to say that the battery on the 10.1 is great, but I can believe that 20 percent diff but nothing higher than the 20 percent. The iPad would prob win slightly. But I don't think it will be to a point that it would die on you during regular use in a day.

The keyboard lag was VERY frustrating at first, but I have to come to a conclusion that it's flash based sites that have that effect, and after I turned of "All Animations" under system settings and it has gone down considerably haven't had it happen since.

For screens, the 10.1 has a beautiful screen but does not hold color accuracy well at dif viewing angles the iPads do a better job at extreme angles. When watching videos it's clear that 10.1 has the true widescreen formate and widescreen videos shine. The iPads screens tho are just as good you just get a bigger black boarder and looks smaller but the video quality is still nothing to be ashamed of. And You tube loads much faster on 10.1 than iPad 1 and a little bit faster than the iPad 2, those are result in the native YouTube apps.

But as of day two. I really enjoying the 10.1 alot I love the widgets and just more functional home screen, but I can understand how people say its not as "intuitive" because coming derectly from iOS it does have a slight learning curve only because it DIFFERENT it has two bars up and down that are ever changing menus, but once you understand it works very cool.

One last advantage of the 10.1 has better speakers than both iPads reason being there are two on either side and give a stereo effect in either orientations.

OP
I

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was trying to hold out for the 10.1 Samsung tab, but after the delay my husband went ahead and bought me the iPad 2. Please post up some comparison pictures of these 2 tabs when you get a chance. Thanks.

I'll have some up later today!

OP
I

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Web pages look alot crisper and I don't have to zoom in to read an article or a sentance or two, that obviously attributed to the higher screen resolution.

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Web pages look alot crisper and I don't have to zoom in to read an article or a sentance or two, that obviously attributed to the higher screen resolution.

With the 9.7" screen on the iPad, do you have to zoom in to read? Maybe it's because I still have good vision, but I really haven't found it necessary to zoom in on a page to read the text on my iPad. However, the 3.5" screen on my iPhone 4 is another story, lol.

OP
I

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now that i have had some more quality time i am enjoying the 10.1 very much. The big difference i feel is that the 10.1 is just a much more personal device than the ipad. and its very light weight fast like the ipad 2. Sometimes the 10.1 handles task much faster, but there are more noticeable times of lag on the 10.1 and i have not had many app crashes as i expected, about the same as i experience on the ipads.

Let me say that again, the font is not as clear as i would like it when im looking at a full page on the ipad, but when i zoom in it much better i def can read it before i zoom in just not a nice as i would like it to look.

I have found that i exclusive use it in landscape mode it just overall a better experience and more enjoyable and the software is built to work better that way. i love the multitasking on android really is true multitasking when compared to the ipads, no re loading of pages when you get back, nothing. But if you dont keep the apps in check and make sure your not having to many apps updating info in the background, then the battery might run on you. But just turning it of solves the problem doesn't take long for it to reboot.

So now when i want to play a game i usually run and grab the ipad just more apps at this time, but for browsing and enjoying the wed i really do enjoy the 10.1 over the ipad. Flash performance was very well handle i think that 3.1 update has to do with it, until you would come across a flash popup ad that is annoying to close but overall great experience.

SO at this point if i had to choose one to live with, i think the ipads would still be king just because of the more software available, but that will change over time, but if i had to just have the 10.1 I don't believe i would feel that I am missing out on anything the are both great.

Attachments

• IMG_0619.JPG
    IMG_0619.JPG
    811.9 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_0621.JPG
    IMG_0621.JPG
    602.2 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_0633.jpg
    IMG_0633.jpg
    893.6 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_0630.JPG
    IMG_0630.JPG
    912.8 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0634.JPG
    IMG_0634.JPG
    767.1 KB · Views: 340
OP
I

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0624.JPG
    IMG_0624.JPG
    602.7 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0625.JPG
    IMG_0625.JPG
    661 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG
    691.4 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_0629.jpg
    IMG_0629.jpg
    909.5 KB · Views: 325
Reaction score
I got one yesterday. Man I've missed widgets for settings.
The battery life is, as posted above, about 8 hours per charge vs 10 on my ipad.
I didn't get it for the camera and don't know if I'll use it much but it takes decent shots.
I was concerned the ratio would "feel" more Xoom like because the dimensions are so similar vs the more square feel in either mode of my Ipad but it feels fine in both portrait and landscape.
Im not sure the definition of no Honeycomb apps but I was able install most of the ones from my phone, excluding of course, phone apps.
Having several keyboards to choose from has been nice again as I prefer sliding over typing and making my own themes is great.
The screen resolution on the Galaxy is sharper and more crisp, especially darker colors and photos with lots of contrasts like shadows in sunlight on snowy day, but the Ipad is nothing to frown upon either. Different photos on each home screen setup to do a slideshow each time I switch screen has been a real joy. Making my own widgets and icons has been nice also.
Transferring data via Bluetooth rocks. I've sent songs and photos from my desktop and phone to the Tab and it was quick and painless.
The metal back vs the plastic feeling back of the Ipad wins hands down but the plastic feel gives me a more confident grip on the Galaxy vs the ipad2.
True multitasking is something again I've missed, Apple just dosent allow enough apps and features to play together for me and the Galaxy wins there as well.
The speed of the Galaxy blows away my ipad1 in every aspect from power up to YouTube to browsing full sites but that could be the 1gb of ram and dual core vs my Ipad setup
I don't see Galaxy 10.1 as an anything killer but it is a very nice alternative to Apple and for those who want different than Steve Jobs definition of individuality. ios is more about a thought process for the owner and a brand. There will never be an i killer unless Apple commits suicide by makingmthe mistakes of Microsoft by assuming yesterdays gains and ideas are good enough for tomorrow.
Those who got the OG iphone know there are growing pains with new directions and I'm rather pleased with my 32gb model
Anyway to anyone on the fence about which way to go, either one is a winner, they bothhave very good build quality and will out perform our smartphones easily.
Again not a full desktop replacement but, imo, closer for my needs than my Ipad
Edit: turning animations eliminates the keyboard lag and many of the aftermarket keyboards have language packs you can install
Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my Galaxy 10.1 via Swype, SlideIt or Ultra Keyboard

Last edited:

extendedforecast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Congrats on the Sammy tablet! Android 3.1 is a really nice OS and really manages the specs well I think. The reports of its half baked buginess are highly exaggerated.

Prolly wrong forum, but just as Android 3.1 help....installing non stock browser helps with keyboard lag. It exists mostly in forums and places chugging heavily on java. With Dolphin HD and Thumb keyboard, I have pretty much eliminated the little typing lag left on forums (set the default on Dolphin to desktop profile.)

Also, don't feel the neec to close apps just because they were opened. Let the OS manage them. It will relegate them to background processes and closing them will actually use more resources than leaving them there. On the whole, task killers are not needed but I do recommend an app called Watchdog - as it will monitor CPU usage and let you track downa rogue app by freezing processes.

Pick up Ghost Commander with the Samba plugin for free! Prolly the best file browser on the market! Good luck...have fun.

Its my favorite OS by far but I have high hopes for iOS5. A world without iTunes makes the days sunnier and brighter :)

Sent from my Android 3.1 Motorola Xoom Tablet!

Reaction score
I use Astro. It has built in tools for opening/extracting .zip files and other things.
I'm not a fan of Dolphin, don't use my browser enough to bother. I turned animations off and have 0 lag now
Not.sure about all that crashing stuff I read. I get many more apps closing per day on my iPad. Gmail opening in.the pull up bar has crashed a couple.times but if I just listen to the CUSTOM tone and open via the WIDGET I MADE it works fine.
ios5 is why I went back to Android. After seeing all the "changes" I knew it wont be for me for quite a while
Anyway I'm in on the ground floor, loving being able to slide again and will put up with the quirks . Once acclimated sliding is faster than 10 finger typing on a full size keybord. I keep getting frustrated when I have to type on my desktop now. I'm comfortable with the 2finger typing on the iPad onscreen keybaord now as well but sliding at full speed is like candy to my ADD brain : D
Again I mean no harm to Apple but I'm home with this gTab.

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my Galaxy 10.1 via Swype, SlideIt or Ultra Keyboard

Last edited:
OP
I

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice! I'm Glad everyone is enjoying there tabs!

Hs anyone noticed it takes for ever to charge? I think it because of any background services that could be hindering the charge or is it my charger?

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More pictures.

Very nice pictures, thank you for posting them. After seeing the 10.1" Galaxy tab side by side with the iPads 9.7" screen, I think I prefer the smaller size of the iPad.

Can you or Mark comment on whether or not lightbleed is an issue for you? I was reading a thread on one of the Android forums about the Galaxy 10.1 having lightbleed issues just like the iPad which I thought was kind of strange considering Apple went with Samsung screens to stop the backlight bleed that the LG screens had.

Most reactions

Latest posts