What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FUTURE UPDATES FOR iPAD 2

golddust34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 2 has been discontinued by Apple, but will it still be able to get updates - especially iOS 8 for instance.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iPad 2 has been discontinued by Apple, but will it still be able to get updates - especially iOS 8 for instance.

Well, I agree w/ scifan57 - since Apple has D/C production of the iPad 2 (the model that I own), it is unlikely that iOS 8 support when released will be offered for the aging iDevice - quote below from HERE - the WWDC 2014 starts June 2, so all will know Apple's goals for the near future then - Dave :)

The iPhone 4 and iPad 2 aren’t getting any younger and both have received three years of software updates. The iPhone 4 and iPad 2 both started on iOS 4. Apple’s iOS 7.1 update significantly improved iOS 7′s performance on the iPhone 4, it was something singled out in the change log. It doesn’t confirm anything but we think that that was done in preparation for the end of its life.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It depends on what's being done with iOS 8.1. The device may be discontinued but it still may receive iOS 8 as the last iOS threshold to be supported, much like how the 3GS was discontinued on the iOS 5 era, and still received the iOS 6 compatibility. I believe the same was the case with the iPhone 4 last year, it was discontinued prior to the release of the 5S but still received the iOS 7 compatibility. When Apple unveils iOS 8 at WWDC, we'll know for sure what the course of action is for the older devices.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iOS 8 for the iPad 2 is very iffy. At the most, it might get some backend stuff and a bit of cosmetics; something that will keep it compatible with current iOS versions while not adding major new features.

The strongest argument for that happening is how recently the model was discontinued. Some schools and businesses were still buying the iPad 2, for it's 30 pin port and price.

But I think it more likely that the iPad 2 will never go beyond iOS 7. It's kind of struggling with that version as it is.

I would expect them to supply critical security updates for the iPad 2 and iOS 7 if the issue comes up; for at least one more year.

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In the climate in which we find ourselves these days, one would be remis to not consider the various scenarios that come to mind.
Scary scenario: the last, with no more, update for the iPad 2 would somewhat/subtly degrade the smooth functioning of this sweet device, thus ecouraging the purchase of an upgrade model. (Hush yo mouth now boy...)

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting! (This is an expository comment relating to the above thoughts about updates.)
Just heard a newscaster say he's heard that our internet speeds from certain providers (didn't mention any names) may slow down a little, or already have, in preparation for a new offering by certain cable companies, at added cost, for higher speed broadband!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
He's probably riffing off the recent FCC net neutrality proposal and the rumors and not-so-rumors involved with Comcast-Netflix, and other broadband deals that involve guaranteed bandwidth for paying content providers.

It's unlikely to have anything to do with Apple, who isn't directly involved with that side of things, yet.

The Comcast, Time Warner merger is also a big player in the doom and gloom news media's outlook.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
As you say, the ipad 2 is just about running as smoothly as excepted with ios7. I too wont be upgrading to 8 if i can. And other than novelties i cant see any reason why i should. I think at the moment perhaps Apple and their ios have reached a plateaux?

The next huge innovation will be where things start to motor again.

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As you say, the ipad 2 is just about running as smoothly as excepted with ios7. I too wont be upgrading to 8 if i can. And other than novelties i cant see any reason why i should. I think at the moment perhaps Apple and their ios have reached a plateaux?

The next huge innovation will be where things start to motor again.

Agreed.

OP
G

golddust34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The schools and business market is a good point. If Apple thinks they are going to 'force' people to buy new in this economy, they better get their collective heads out of the clouds and come down to the real world. Look what's happened to Microsoft and XP. Plenty of businesses are still using that operating system and will for a long time to come regardless of Microsoft's 'scare tactics'.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Apple has just announced that the iPad 2 WILL be getting the iOS 8 update this fall.

Though it would be overly optimistic to expect 'all' the new features to be available, I suspect many of them will be; since most are about interoperability of apps and devices though iCloud and the network rather than hardware intensive services.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Though it would be overly optimistic to expect 'all' the new features to be available, I suspect many of them will be; since most are about interoperability of apps and devices though iCloud and the network rather than hardware intensive services.

Agreed. So far, iOS 8 could be considered just a small step up from the current iOS 7 since aesthetics is pretty much the same, with some added features. Unless Apple completely blow things out of the water, most of the iOS 8 features will be applicable to the iPad 2, and like most of the devices, they will not receive the Metal component of iOS 8 as it's A7 exclusive. Outside of that, everything else seems to be just small changes that the iPad 2 should be able to accommodate.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's the changes on the developer side that are going to be the biggest deal. They are going to be able to create whole new levels of interactivity between apps and the system.

Keyboard apps that work everywhere.

Widgets in Notification Center.

Apps that let you access their content, and even features from other apps. Like applying filters from a third party app while not leaving the Photos app, or using a web-clipping app directly in your notes app. (Extensibility)

The ability to work on the same document from multiple apps (iCloud Drive).

If it all works as advertised, and developers jump on board, this is going to make the changes in iOS 7 look like a superficial paint job. You may not like how white your house got with iOS 7, but you're going to love the new furniture coming with iOS 8.

Most reactions

Latest posts