FUTURE UPDATES FOR iPAD 2

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by golddust34, May 8, 2014.

1. golddust34

golddust34
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    iPad 2 has been discontinued by Apple, but will it still be able to get updates - especially iOS 8 for instance.

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's likely that the iPad 2 will not be getting the iOS 8 update.

3. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, I agree w/ scifan57 - since Apple has D/C production of the iPad 2 (the model that I own), it is unlikely that iOS 8 support when released will be offered for the aging iDevice - quote below from HERE - the WWDC 2014 starts June 2, so all will know Apple's goals for the near future then - Dave :)

4. willerz2

willerz2
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    It depends on what's being done with iOS 8.1. The device may be discontinued but it still may receive iOS 8 as the last iOS threshold to be supported, much like how the 3GS was discontinued on the iOS 5 era, and still received the iOS 6 compatibility. I believe the same was the case with the iPhone 4 last year, it was discontinued prior to the release of the 5S but still received the iOS 7 compatibility. When Apple unveils iOS 8 at WWDC, we'll know for sure what the course of action is for the older devices.

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    iOS 8 for the iPad 2 is very iffy. At the most, it might get some backend stuff and a bit of cosmetics; something that will keep it compatible with current iOS versions while not adding major new features.

The strongest argument for that happening is how recently the model was discontinued. Some schools and businesses were still buying the iPad 2, for it's 30 pin port and price.

But I think it more likely that the iPad 2 will never go beyond iOS 7. It's kind of struggling with that version as it is.

I would expect them to supply critical security updates for the iPad 2 and iOS 7 if the issue comes up; for at least one more year.

6. cruiser111

cruiser111
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    In the climate in which we find ourselves these days, one would be remis to not consider the various scenarios that come to mind.
    Scary scenario: the last, with no more, update for the iPad 2 would somewhat/subtly degrade the smooth functioning of this sweet device, thus ecouraging the purchase of an upgrade model. (Hush yo mouth now boy...)

7. cruiser111

cruiser111
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Interesting! (This is an expository comment relating to the above thoughts about updates.)
    Just heard a newscaster say he's heard that our internet speeds from certain providers (didn't mention any names) may slow down a little, or already have, in preparation for a new offering by certain cable companies, at added cost, for higher speed broadband!

8. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    He's probably riffing off the recent FCC net neutrality proposal and the rumors and not-so-rumors involved with Comcast-Netflix, and other broadband deals that involve guaranteed bandwidth for paying content providers.

It's unlikely to have anything to do with Apple, who isn't directly involved with that side of things, yet.

The Comcast, Time Warner merger is also a big player in the doom and gloom news media's outlook.

9. sjleworthy

sjleworthy
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    As you say, the ipad 2 is just about running as smoothly as excepted with ios7. I too wont be upgrading to 8 if i can. And other than novelties i cant see any reason why i should. I think at the moment perhaps Apple and their ios have reached a plateaux?

The next huge innovation will be where things start to motor again.

10. cruiser111

cruiser111
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Agreed.