What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future iPad owner... What program should I use to compress movies...

cherapin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am going to be buying an iPad (maybe today) and one of the major reasons I want it is for my daughte4r to watch movies on it while traveling. Is there a program that I can use that will compress movies without losing too much resolution/clarity, or having audio sync issues?

Like MoonlitSonata
said,

The best program is handbrake. I sometimes use iMovie with plugin to do the compression. It works quite well.

OP
T

TBaGZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will suggest to go for a vpn service that allows direct access to popular movie and tv entertainment channels access on very economical monthly packs. There are so many options available, just search on google or raise your voice here on ipadforums,, experience people will surely provides you the best alternate.

Could I set up a vpn and access my home PC to watch them?

OP
T

TBaGZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So the first movie I did came out to be 3.75gb... what setting do I need to change to compress it more? These are just cartoons for my daughter so the quality doesn't need to be perfect, just good.

D

dvdcatalyst

So the first movie I did came out to be 3.75gb... what setting do I need to change to compress it more? These are just cartoons for my daughter so the quality doesn't need to be perfect, just good.

If the quality doesn't need to be as good, just pick one of the iphone or ipod profiles. Files created using those settings will work on the iPad as well.

OP
T

TBaGZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Doesn't need to be great but it needs to be decent.

D

dvdcatalyst

Doesn't need to be great but it needs to be decent.

Have you actually tried one of the iPhone profiles for a movie?

It might sound like very low quality, but it is perfectly watchable on an iPad.

Original DVD Size:

ipad_dvd_iphone_size_1.jpg

original dvd size on ipad3:

ipad_dvd_original_size_2.jpg

iPhone-sized:

ipad_dvd_original_size_1.jpg

iPhone-sized on iPad3:

ipad_dvd_iphone_size_2.jpg

If you tap on the images you can see the quality difference. It is noticeable, of course, but a full iPhone sized movie is, in my case, around 600MB.

Attachments

• bluray_ipad3_1.png
    bluray_ipad3_1.png
    497.4 KB · Views: 141
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T

TBaGZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For some reason every movie I rip with handbrake, regardless of setting, has been an unwatchable mess... The picures is all jumbled.

I need to get some movies loaded on this thing tonight so we can fly out in the morning. :/

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Handbrake doesn't deal with copy protection. That could be the problem.

Maybe someone can suggest a different program. I use DVDFab but it costs.

OP
T

TBaGZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have DVDfab... I just tried ripping it with DVDfab and now I am going to run handbrake on it.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It will deal with most copy protection, and output a file that can be used by the iPad.

If you set it up to produce a file for an iDevices, it will automatically send it to iTunes at the end of the rip.

OP
T

TBaGZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well it wouldn't deal with Nemo or Tinkerbell lol

OP
T

TBaGZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the newest version on the site... Don't remember what it was.

D

dvdcatalyst

I have DVDfab... I just tried ripping it with DVDfab and now I am going to run handbrake on it.

Well it wouldn't deal with Nemo or Tinkerbell lol

If you want something easier and considerably cheaper than DVDfab, maybe try DVD Catalyst 4 ($10).

It converts from DVD directly, so no jumping through hoops.

Start program, insert DVD, tap Go, and thats it.

for an example, have a look here:

http://www.ipadforums.net/dvd-catalyst/81444-dvd-ipad-3-wrath-titans-2012-a.html

Most reactions

Latest posts