What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future iPad owner... What program should I use to compress movies...

TBaGZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am going to be buying an iPad (maybe today) and one of the major reasons I want it is for my daughte4r to watch movies on it while traveling. Is there a program that I can use that will compress movies without losing too much resolution/clarity, or having audio sync issues?

OP
T

TBaGZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I will give it a look.

OP
T

TBaGZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So handbrake won't rip a copyrighted DVD?

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MoonlitSonata said:
No, that's piracy.

If you own the DVD and you are wanting to view it on your iPad, Handbrake will encode the DVD, create an iPad compatible format and then you can synch it to your iPad via iTunes. It is not piracy as long as you own the DVD and you are using the DVD for your personal use as intended by the artist/producer. This is the same idea as turning a cd full of music and transferring it into your iPad.

Last edited:
OP
T

TBaGZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Piracy is copying something I do not own or giving a copy to someone else.... I just want to watch dvd's on the iPad.

OP
T

TBaGZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I am giving it a try on a 35 minute disc... When I tried to use the preview button it errored out and said something about "vcl player missing".

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
TBaGZ said:
Well I am giving it a try on a 35 minute disc... When I tried to use the preview button it errored out and said something about "vcl player missing".

To get around this, you can use QuickTime or ms media player. When you get that message there is an option book to do so.

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TBaGZ said:
So handbrake won't rip a copyrighted DVD?

Since you're asking for DVDs you own, I'll answer this :)

It can, but it needs libraries that aren't included by default for legal reasons. You either need to find those libraries and place them in the proper place or use another application to decrypt the disc first and then point handbrake at the decrypted version on your hard drive.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
joeyteel said:
Since you're asking for DVDs you own, I'll answer this :)

It can, but it needs libraries that aren't included by default for legal reasons. You either need to find those libraries and place them in the proper place or use another application to decrypt the disc first and then point handbrake at the decrypted version on your hard drive.

For my niece's birthday, I bought a copy of Warhorse, put it on my PC, launched Handbrake, chose iPad preset, chose chapters, hit start and five hours later it finished encoding the DVD and I was able to synch it to her iPad. The file was a whopping 2.3Gigs in size. I've been doing this very simple process now for the last three weeks. I have not found any need for libraries or decryption.

henry98

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am going to be buying an iPad (maybe today) and one of the major reasons I want it is for my daughte4r to watch movies on it while traveling. Is there a program that I can use that will compress movies without losing too much resolution/clarity, or having audio sync issues?

I will suggest to go for a vpn service that allows direct access to popular movie and tv entertainment channels access on very economical monthly packs. There are so many options available, just search on google or raise your voice here on ipadforums,, experience people will surely provides you the best alternate.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MattIM said:
For my niece's birthday, I bought a copy of Warhorse, put it on my PC, launched Handbrake, chose iPad preset, chose chapters, hit start and five hours later it finished encoding the DVD and I was able to synch it to her iPad. The file was a whopping 2.3Gigs in size. I've been doing this very simple process now for the last three weeks. I have not found any need for libraries or decryption.

5 hours for a file to be played on an iPad. It should not be taking anywhere near that long. Remember, the tiny screen of an iPad cannot do justice so super high quality rips. And 2.3 GB for a DVD rip is a terrible waste. If you play around a bit you'll find decent quality at smaller file sizes and lower rip times. JFYI, though.

Most reactions

Latest posts